The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have read all the previous post about these mirrors but little help. If I understand (from what I read) There is NO maintenance for the power/folding extension mirrors on my 2015 6.7L 250 super duty. Also the gears are plastic. Is the any product that can be sprayed on to the gears without taking the whole unit apart? I should have said my mirrors do work BUT make noise as they open extend and close.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
There is someone that makes
Brass gears as a replacement. He did the research and made them up. I don’t currently have his link, but thinking you do some searching you’ll come across it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
There you go. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As always you guys come thru. I will just keep fingers crossed and use the mirrors minimally.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Mine have been fine so far. The driver side does run a little slower than the passenger. I will kind of help it out some times if I remember to open my window. But I definitely don’t put any stress on it. I am planning on buying the gears just to have on stand by when they do break. I also think that running them when they are iced up in the winter probably is a good way to strip out the gears.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Having problems with driver side.
In other post seen pics if replacing gears in gearbox. But what caught my eye was a wavy 3 piece spring like part, and has curved end. I suspect the curve end some kind of detent, to hold mirror in open position.

And I an suspecting the harsh opening or closing may be due to friction, like spring surface rubbing.

So I took spray can, with those plastic tube nozzle and worked it in the seams of the pivot point, sprayed lot of lube, top n bottom of both top and bottom pivot joints. LOTS!

Now the mirror opens n closes with no clicks, clunks, and as it should. I can only suspect the lube prob hit the spring surfaces, allows reduced friction.

I am monitoring how this works for next few days. Hope it does.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, may be back to square one.

Mirrors open closed great for few days. But after couple days inactivity and a recent heavy down pour, next day driver sid Open, but pax did not. WTH!

So manually moved it, got them going again. But a hit or miss affair.

When got back home, trying couple times, they hanging up. So his time I got another type lube, not WD-40, whichnis not so magical stuff, this one silicon based anticorrosive fluid, sprayed into the seams, a lot. Mirrors still acting up. So left them open overnight. Next morning, attempted to close. They both closed ok. So left it at that for now. Will try them in next few days, see what happens.

But I say this - not gonna spend $500-1500 for mirrors. Either gonna leave them open, out, do them manually. I have to close if at bank ATM or fast food drive ups. Or send DW in her SUV to get money and/or food. LoL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts