The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks;
So here's what happened. I was pulling a float in our local parade last week, not an overly heavy float (4000 to 4500 pounds), it was hot outside, approx. 93 degrees (34 C). Everything seemed to be going great as we creeped along at a snails pace, until late in the parade when I came to a hill and attempted to accellerate up the hill and nothing.... It would barely give me anything above an idle.
I was in Drive with tow/haul on. When I dropped it down into first on the column it seemed to give me more power, but this continued until the end of the parade, at which point I shut the truck off for a while and restarted it and the problem was gone.

While this was happening there were no check lights, coolant temperature was normal and I had no reduced engine power warning.

My truck is an 08, it has EGR, DPF, CAT delete, running at stock power for both engine and Tranny on an SCT race tuner.

Also Fuel Filters were brandnew

Anybody have any ideas??

·
Registered
212 Posts
the only unannounced reduction in power I've ever encountered was right before the CEL came on telling me the fuel rail pressure was low... I think it is a P0192 or 0193...

that dang FRP is located at the front of the passenger rail, and is the ONLY means for the PCM to know what the pressure actually is, which determines duty cycle/pulse width of injection... w/o it's reporting, the engine uses strict tables (not dynamic) on the PCM to deliver fuel, and getting power to the wheels is a slow process.

if you can monitor the ICP/rail pressure, do so... see if that thing is on the blink.. I've no idea in the world why FoMoCo didn't introduce a redundant on the other rail...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Thanks Drew. I don't have any way to monitor this, but it gives me a starting place for looking for a diagnosis if it reappears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 acts similarly when the outside temp gets above 95 degrees. No lights or check engine alerts. Just severe loss of power. Manually shifting the tranny down seemed to help as well, but only a bandaid. It does the same thing every summer. I do most of my pulling in the winter, and there is never a problem then. Only hot summer days. With or without towing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts