The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey brand new here got a 97 7.3 powerstroke had the check engine light come on while driving truck ran very rough for 1-2 seconds severe power loss and then was fine. parked the truck at work was very hard to start then idled very rough rpms didnt pick up much. replaced cam position sensor but did not fix any ideas? thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
yep , you have a burnt valve cover harness, either external or internal, your IDM is cutting out cylinders to protect itself, ie rough running, then its fine, soon it will be rough all the time.
1. sniff test, open oil fill cap and smell, if its smells burnt, its on teh inside .
2. then unplug each of the 2 valve cover plugs, or each side, you can get to three easy but the fourth is hidden under the orange turbo hose, check the others first. if you fine one burnt then you need to repair.
use the search function to fine a huge amount of info and pictures on repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help nit. i am new here but understand how to use the search function but i couldnt find much on repair of them i will try to search again. thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well bad news inner/outer harness and vcg all need replaced the one that was burnt was under the orance turbo hose. oh and i gotta buy one of those too mine was dry rotted and its $125 at the dealer cause u have to buy the whole assembly. so its time to try and find these cheaper online. how tough is the inner wire assembly to replace?

·
Registered
156 Posts
the UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness) is not hard to replace at all! The hardest part is to get the valve covers off. The rearmost bolt is the hardest. I use a 3/8 swivel and hold my tongue right it will come right off. Simply unplug the harness from the valve cover gasket (which you might want to replace) Check all the pins in the VC and in the harness plugs. also a good time to replace or check glowplugs. Good Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i already took off the valve covers thats how i discovered the inner one needs replaced also. thats what i used a 3/8 swivel and made up some new words i figured i was onto the easy part now

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
replace teh VC gasket as well as the harnesses adn the glowplugs on that side or it will happen again sooner than later, yes you had to replace teh whole assembly instead of teh orange hose that is no longer made. Try Dale Isley at Tymar for that part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nit thanks for the advice i will replace the glow plugs as well. i already found a hose for it at www.verociousmotorsports.com they had 45 degree bend hoses that necked down from 3.25" to 3" to fit turbo diesels got it for $42 plus shipping at the time it was the best deal i could come up with was alot better than the assembly i found online for $95. i bought the dorman kit from www.rockauto.com it comes with gasket 2 external plugs and 2 under cover harness's so i will replace everything on that side even though only 1 pin got trashed. at least this is a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wanted to give a :thup: to www.rockauto.com the vcg assembly that i ordered YESTERDAY morning just arrived. What fantastic service thats unreal i had just the cheapo normal shipping and it was here within 28 hours. Great job Rock Auto

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all your help guys. i got the truck running again today ran like a brand new one again didnt let it run long still waiting for the hump hose for the turbo so it should be back on the road tomorrow when it arrives. thanks again very helpful. still love my :ford:

·
Registered
473 Posts
just be carefull if the glow plugs are tight coming out, they can get stuck or break off, then the head has to come off. turn back and forth if tight, they could have carbon buildup or they could be swollen..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts