The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermittent power loss problem. Driving down the road it like studders thats the best way I can put it . Its like I am letting my foot off and then back on. I have no CEL or any DTC codes. I am kinda of thinking the IPR is going.

Thank you for any ideas what might be causing this.

JPC

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Look into the ICP sensor and cps first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dropped the tank when I did the mods and it was clean, i don't think there is a delamination issue. The ICP is brand new motorcraft bought from the dealer.
The cps is new from pure diesel. I think it might be the problem.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Wouldn't be that on a pickup's plastic tank, but crud in the in-tank filters might do it.
No. The poly tanks don't have anything to delaminate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just a guess... BUT..

It could be your Throttle Position Sensor [TPS] on you gas peddle under the dash ?????

They have a tendency to act up as a hit and miss

Try taking out on the road, and put in ,cruise control,
And see what happens,,,'
,cruise control, over rides the gas pedal,,,

$50 for Tps sensor is small potatoes.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Just a guess... BUT..

It could be your Throttle Position Sensor [TPS] on you gas peddle under the dash ?????

And see what happens,,,'

I think we have a winner! :grin2:

The TPS (actually the APS or Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor on our diesels) can get an intermittent bad spot and can drop the engine to idle and then back to speed as you transition thru the bad spot. Dorman sells a replacement APS that replaces just that instead of the whole pedal assembly, which is what Ford sells. I think Dorman's product is only for the AP assembly that has two separate wiring connectors on it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Greetings Karl;

My advice is DO NOT BY THE DORMAN BRAND TPS....

I did once, and it only lasted 1 1/2 yrs....

Buy Ford only

·
Registered
188 Posts
The APP on a 2003 is a unit that incorporates both the APP and IVS (idle validation switch). Standard Motor Products part is available on Rock Auto for about $250, or you can send yours to A-1 Cardone for a $75 rebuild, or you can try the Dorman for $75. Autonation Ford White Bear Lake lists it on their web site for $218, part # F81Z-9F836-AB.

I'm not completely convinced the APP is the problem, though . . .

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not believe it to be the APS , I tried cruise control test and it did the same thing. I also think what ever it is, is having negative effects on my newly rebuilt tranny. Shifting no better then prior to the rebuild. When the APS went out last year it threw a code and I replaced it. I have no codes. I ordered a brand new IPR last night since some of the issues I have surround it, we will see.
Thank you guys for all your info.
JPC

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just a guess... BUT..

And see what happens,,,'

Try this first! Sounds like a tranny problem

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced the entire pedal assembly. i did try the cruise control test and it did the same thing as if i was on the pedal, I dont believe its the tps. Thank you JPC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts