The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking my steering was a little stiff and thought my fluid might be low. I checked the fluid and it was the right level but to my surprise it was not clear and also seemed to be thick. I stuck my finger in it and it was slow to drip off. Also may have looked like it may be a little foamy. Any suggestions? 2008 F250 6.4 Superduty no 4x4. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,602 Posts
The power steering fluid in your truck should be ATF. Do NOT put Power Steering Fluid in. If you suspect it's been contaminated with engine oil (I've seen that happen on the road at a service station years ago - the grease monkey dumped a quart of engine oil in the PS pump cap, overflowing it. :rolleyes:), I would change it out. Suck the reservoir dry, refill with ATF, then remove the hose from the hydroboost driver's side and put a hose running to a bucket on it. Start the engine, run it at about 1000-1200 RPM, and turn the wheels lock to lock and step on the brakes. Be sure to keep the reservoir full (a 2 person operation is best.) When you see nice clean fluid coming out the hose, shut it off, restore the hose connection and top off the reservoir.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The power steering fluid in your truck should be ATF. Do NOT put Power Steering Fluid in. If you suspect it's been contaminated with engine oil (I've seen that happen on the road at a service station years ago - the grease monkey dumped a quart of engine oil in the PS pump cap, overflowing it. :rolleyes:), I would change it out. Suck the reservoir dry, refill with ATF, then remove the hose from the hydroboost driver's side and put a hose running to a bucket on it. Start the engine, run it at about 1000-1200 RPM, and turn the wheels lock to lock and step on the brakes. Be sure to keep the reservoir full (a 2 person operation is best.) When you see nice clean fluid coming out the hose, shut it off, restore the hose connection and top off the reservoir.
I am surely grateful for your help. I will take care of it as soon as this snow has gone! I had a bad feeling when I saw the color of it. I have never added any ATF to it but did buy it used. Thanks again and have a great day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am surely grateful for your help. I will take care of it as soon as this snow has gone! I had a bad feeling when I saw the color of it. I have never added any ATF to it but did buy it used. Thanks again and have a great day!
Is there a certain kind of ATF I should use?

·
Super Moderator
26,602 Posts
Your owner's manual specifies Mercon. I would suggest Mobil 1 Syn ATF. You'll need 3 quarts for a complete flush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts