The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has 265,000 miles. My power steering pump and /or hoses is leaking. I want to install a new pump and hoses. Which pump have people found to be reliable? I have not found a way to search the forums for previous posts.

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
I put a Motorcraft pump on mine when the shaft seal started leaking. The replacement has been working OK (at least 5 years now).
I was just working on my truck yesterday and noticed that the hoses are seeping fluid at the hard line to flex crimp. All except one is original, so not surprising. IIRC, the hose I replaced was from the local parts store.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should probably get a motorcraft pump, new hoses and get it over with.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New vs remanufactured?

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
Don't recall which it was. I think remanned.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
First thing I would do is figure out what the problem is. Sounds simple but finding a leak can take a lot of work/time. So go get some Oil Eater or whatever you like to remove oil and crap. Now spend some time cleaning the pump and hoses, usually takes more than one time to do it. Hot water helps a lot. Once it is clean you may find it is only a loose fitting or simple hose. I once rebuilt the PS/vacuum pump on a Dodge 3 time only to find out the leak was from the steering box. With that kind of millage any rebuilt pump should work if that is what you need.
DENNY

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's how I look at it. The mileage and 18 years of big city + hwy driving. I prefer to just replace the pump and the lines with new. Since I haven't seen negative opinions about reman pumps, I might as well pay for a reman motorcraft pump. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
Look on Rockauto. The Motorcraft listed in “without reservoir “ actually has the reservoir. Just bought one last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would go with Motorcraft. And I would try to go new. You seemed to get good service with the stock unit. i see no reason not to keep using OEM parts. I would NOT get one from Auto Zone or the like. Sure they have a lifetime warranty but how many times do you want to replace it. Also there may be O rings or seals that you may need. Make sure you replace those as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
Another thing to consider (probably not in your case George) is that the pulley can only be removed and replaced twice per the service manual. So a lifetime warranty thing that fails early might have other costs (a new pulley).
FYI, I still have the box mine came in (and the old pump which I'm going to rebuild eventually). The PN is STP-56-RM and/or F1TZ-3A674-DBRM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another thing to consider (probably not in your case George) is that the pulley can only be removed and replaced twice per the service manual. So a lifetime warranty thing that fails early might have other costs (a new pulley).
FYI, I still have the box mine came in (and the old pump which I'm going to rebuild eventually). The PN is STP-56-RM and/or F1TZ-3A674-DBRM
I recently had a leaking line. I work my truck everyday so I did not want to deal with more than one repair. I have a friend with a wholesale account at the dealer so I get a little better pricing. I bought the motorcraft pump. It is a reman. Dealer told me truck was too old for ford to have new ones. (2001) I bought most of the lines new from ford with one exception due to price difference. I bought harbor freights pulley remover worked like a champ and cheap. I did it all to avoid a failure of an unchanged part. The newly reman pump from motorcraft has a whine. I read on another post or forum about changing the fluid to full synthetic mobil 1 power steering fluid to make the whine go away. Have not tried it yet using mercon 5 now. simple job but I pulled the battery and intercooler pipe just too have more room. I also have a plow which the mount can be a pain to work around. If you have to do it and can afford it change it all. I just couldn't afford a future issue. Salt is hard on lines

·
Premium Member
14,494 Posts
That whine will probably diminish as you work all the air out of the system. Mine did. I just did the same thing replacing all the lines after my pressure line blew out AGAIN. Hey, Cory. If you’re listening. Come up with a replacement for that crappy design and you’ll be rich!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
The trick to getting rid of whine if you've had the PS system open is to pull a vacuum on the reservoir. That gets the air out of the system quicker than just running it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I don't think these old PS pumps are still being made, so there probably are no "new" ones available anywhere. And I'm not sure I'd trust a NOS pump as much as I would a modern reman. Will the Saginaw pump fit these old diesel engines?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts