The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you are like me and think that spending more gets you more, it doesn't always work out that way, and in this case "the best" converter money could buy at the time failed me 408 miles from home pulling a 9000 lb 5er . "I thought" the transmission input shaft broke (just popped and stopped pulling during a downshift from 4th to 3rd). It turned out to be the converter (the shaft is not broken and the splines are intact on both ends).

Now here is the disappointment - I don not abuse the truck and have performed just about every reliability update possible. I replaced the stock converter and installed the tugger shift kit when the truck was a year or two old old in hopes of reducing the chances of a breakdown. It turns out that the very part I installed to reduce the chance of a breakdown caused the breakdown. I had the truck towed back home ($1300 wrecker bill, because I can't stand the thought of someone else touching a screw on this truck) and dropped the tranny today expecting to find the input shaft failed (already had a billet shaft ready to be installed) but I instead found the splines in the converter stripped. I called precision and they told me they could rebuild it (which I may or may not do). I order a Hughes converter from Summit (half the price of the Precision Stallion) to get it back together quickly (will have it in the morning, which is Saturday) so I can use the truck next week.

Moral of the story, I wasted a lot of money "trying" to get the best I could, and it didn't work. While it is true that the converter was over 10 years old (and 100,000 miles, all running Jody's econo 80 tune), I now believe that any decent converter would have lasted at least this long. I have ran Mobil One tranny fluid, a 10 micron, 25GPM hydraulic filter going to the cooler, and digital temp gauge (which has never exceeded 200), and when I removed the the PML aluminum pan today, it was squeaky clean (no clutch residue or sludge at all), I mean it looked like the day I installed it (the fluid has 30K on it). I feel that this tranny was/is better than the Precision converter that was driving it.

Reactions: NYB

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They have definitely had a bad run going lately. Your not the first one having issues with P I converters

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dieseldrive... a 100 thank you's for posting your report. Actually, a 1,000, as that is how much money you saved me.

Don't forget to update your signature!

Purple Hype, Purple Hype!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem. I called Precision and they said that they could rebuild it for about $450 plus shipping both ways. It will be sold for scrap (when scrap prices go back up). Lessen learned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
that a bummer dude for sure.. Do i understand there are 2 or more Precision converter manf around. I was looking at a triple clutch deal from Precision of New Hampton, IA which is north of waterloo Iowa.. this is not the same guys right..?? I talked with a local trans shop that uses the precision of New hampton products and all they had was high praise for the product.

just want to make sure i am looking at right manf.. I guess the TQ you have is a purple one??

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, its a Precision Stallion (I believe they are in Tennessee.

I have learned over the long haul that a high amount of info (hype really) are creations of the internet. Things like regulated returns for example. All of our trucks have regulated fuel returns, but someone dreamed up that it would be better to return fuel from the heads rather than the top of the filter. This is one of many of the "aftermarkets" attempts to create a problem that doesn't exist (the stock location of the fuel return on top of the fuel filter is absolutely the best place to return fuel from because it is the highest point in the fuel system - air naturally goes/stays at the high point). Not flaming this mod, just saying that not all needs upgrading and often reliability will be compromised by doing so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts