The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey!

come Monday night, i will be leaving my home town heading back to school on the 14 hour trek with the new truck :) what should i do to make sure it's good to go. right now the shop where i bought it at is fixing all the problems i found with it. and if they find any.

i've got 2, 5gal cans for backup diesel, 2 jugs of Diesel Kleen (white bottle) need to find out what oil there putting in the engine... ide love it to be a 5-40 Rotella synthetic.

what else should i do to make sure its good to go, and possibly Boost MPG on it. coming from my focus.. getting ~33 MPG to this will cost a bit more...:sick: lol but it will be worth it.

truck info... 2002 F350 XLT 4x4, 7.3 W/ 135K miles, auto trans.

thanks!

· Registered
253 Posts
Basics:
brakes, tires/wheels, wipers, fluids, filters should all be checked.

On road trips, I carry:
a spare CPS and wrench
serp belt
basic tools

Unless you're trekking into the outback, I don't see the need for the jerry cans of diesel. Availability is pretty good almost anywhere you go- just keep the tank above 1/4 tank for peace of mind. When you fill the tank, fill it until you get liquid diesel and not foam at the filler neck.

Air up the tires a bit, keep the RPMs below 2k, and enjoy the ride!

· Registered
70 Posts
Basics:
brakes, tires/wheels, wipers, fluids, filters should all be checked.

On road trips, I carry:
a spare CPS and wrench
serp belt
basic tools

Unless you're trekking into the outback, I don't see the need for the jerry cans of diesel. Availability is pretty good almost anywhere you go- just keep the tank above 1/4 tank for peace of mind. When you fill the tank, fill it until you get liquid diesel and not foam at the filler neck.

Air up the tires a bit, keep the RPMs below 2k, and enjoy the ride!
Right on the money

· Registered
259 Posts
yeah get rid of the extra cans of fuel, sounds kinda goofy to carry extra unless youre getting way off the beaten path. try traveling 17 hrs with 3 kids under 5, now thats an adventure.

· Registered
23 Posts
Check spare for a lock and chain by previous owner or bring bolt cutters. Make sure the spare tire winch operates up and down. Jack and lug wrench are on board. Oh here's a nice one, check to make sure that if the previous owner put lug nut locks on that you have the right adapter/key for them. Some how I had one in the glove box , but it wasn't the same pattern as was on the lug nut. :icon_mad: Enjoy the ride

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basics:
On road trips, I carry:
a spare CPS and wrench

a spare CPS and wrench ????????????????????

i have the fuel tanks because when i do the drive, i do it at night to avoid a large amount of traffic. the last time i did it during the day it took me 17 hours. when i leave PA after 5 PM. i can pull in my driveway for about 5-7 AM.. minding a little bit of a steel toe boot laying into the throttle :) RainX'n the windshields gonna be a bit more trickier then the focus :p

anything to improve the fuel millage... air filter? Nitrogen in the tires? check the ATF fluid... Hot & running... or just hot?
thanks!!

· Registered
968 Posts
Dramamine is your friend.
I was thinking something a little stronger........for me.....:lol:

Try 24-hour treks overseas by yourself with two under 5, and none of us can sleep on planes. Not even Benadryl works. Good thing they're good quiet kids.

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
a spare CPS and wrench ????????????????????
The '99-'03 diesels are infamous for having the camshaft position sensor (CPS) go south. Ford recalled all of them a few weeks ago to replace the CPS - even those long out of warranty like mine. But the new CPSs seem to go bad too often, too.

So in addition to the normal "fan" belt (serpentine belt), lots of folks carry a spare CPS. And the spare CPS is useless unless you have the right wrench to install it.

And the spare fan belt is not really useful unless you have replaced your upper radiator hose with one that goes around the belt instead of through it. When you disconnect the upper radiator hose to get the fan belt installed, you'll lose quite a bit of coolant. So if you don't have the right upper radiator hose yet, then also carry an extra gallon of antifreeze with your spare fan belt. And speaking of disconnecting the fan belt, you'll also need a big pair of "water pump" or channel lock plyers to get the hose clamp off. ;)

Of course, my wife thinks it's silly to haul around a bunch of spare parts and a toolbox full of tools "just in case...". Instead, she just makes sure her cell phone is fully charged. Then if she has a problem on the road, AAA is just a phone call away. :)

No amount of explaining will convince her that AAA and any garage they would tow you to is not very good at getting you back on the road in a reasonable time if you break down at midnight on Christmas Eve. So I carry a spare fan belt and a spare CPS and a toolbox full of tools. And my upper radiator hose goes around the fan belt, not through it. :)

...check the ATF fluid... Hot & running... or just hot?
The ATF must be up to normal operating temp - i.e., after at least 30 miles of unloaded cruising or 15 miles of towing. And you check it with the tranny in park with the engine idling. There is a "cold" area and a "hot" area on the dipstick. Always check it hot and use the hot area on the dipstick.

· Registered
125 Posts
:) RainX'n the windshields gonna be a bit more trickier then the focus
Rob, just put the Rainex premix fluid in your windshield washer reservoir. It works like a champ and is available at Advance Auto Parts and other auto parts stores.

SoCalgn already gave you the best advice on how to get the best mileage. It's a truck with a lot of weight and large frontal area so a realistic average mileage would be 16 - 20 mpg depending on your driving habits.

Also, winter blend fuel will generally get about 2 mpg less. My experience has been that most of the mileage improvement add-ons don't really work and that the best investment is to just slow down a little. Physics is going to dictate that you'll have to expend a certain amount of energy to overcome weight and resistance and nothing you'll do will help except to reduce either of those factors.

Take your time and don't try to hammer yourself down the road through the night without taking breaks or to grab a quick refresher nap if you need one. Getting back to school safely is always preferable to getting there quickly or not at all. Plus, you'll be driving a 4 ton vehicle that will do a lot of damage if you fall asleep at the wheel and run over some poor little rice burner.

I used to do the same thing and it took a few brushes with barely avoiding a serious accident to wise me up and make me realize that I wasn't quite as capable or invincible as I originally thought.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright then.

i'm gonna have to hold off on the belt and CPS for now.. and hope to not have any problems. if something were to happen.. ill know where and why :p then you guys can say "told ya it could happen" ha ha ha finished cleaning out my focus, swapped my Silverstar Ultra's out for the stock's so i can put them in the truck. i leave in about an hour :)

Tonight forecast 7+ " of snow 4WD testing time :)

thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.