The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 4 gallons of Prestone ELC. I rather non-ELC but Walmart sells all ELC coolants. I searched the forum. Seem everyone buy SCA charged coolants. I know couple places sell them. I just want to get over with coolant stuff tonight.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I just got 4 gallons of Prestone ELC. I rather non-ELC but Walmart sells all ELC coolants. I searched the forum. Seem everyone buy SCA charged coolants. I know couple places sell them. I just want to get over with coolant stuff tonight.
Personally I would stay away from ELC in a 1995 Powerstroke engine if it is an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant. Ford doesn't recommend using ELC in the older Powerstrokes because the gaskets and seals were not made for it. Just my 2 cents.

Griz

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Also I doubt that it is low silicate that is recomended for our trucks.

Jim

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommand coolant beside SCA charged coolants at common stores?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I run Cat ELC in my 7.3IDI. I only do so because the engine has been resealed from one end to the other. You DO NOT want to convert over to ELC because if the system didn't leak before, it'll surely leak when you put the ELC in. One of the advantages of ELC is the absence of silicate.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Any recommand coolant beside SCA charged coolants at common stores?
Last time I changed my coolant, I bought Texaco Heavy Duty at Advanced auto and added the additive. I had several gallons of CAT elc that I was going to use, but I didnt. I know alot of guys use it and do not have any problems. I changed my coolant due to a mishap with a sawzall when I was installing my intercooler :nono: . I figured with 170k on the radiator it was time for a new one anyway, but when I looked inside it looked like it was brand new so I had it repaired for $35.00. Thats why I stuck with the standard coolant. Good luck

Frank

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to several stores with no luck. My wife just pointed to small auto business shop and asked me to check it out. I was surprised that they do carry FORD products! I asked the salesperson about SCA charged coolants. He wasn't sure what I was talking about. So he walked to the shelf and showed me Ford DCA bottle. I was dumbfound to see that. It is "Ford/Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive" and I read the directions. It mentioned to use "Fleetguard DCA4 Test Strip Kit" which I am familiar with. Also, I got Ford/Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant. It mentioned "Green-colored, conventional coolant formula, which is the right stuff that I need to get.

The prices aren't that bad unless you know where to get them cheaper. DCA bottle (1 pint) for $5.49 and one gallon coolant for $10.49

As I read the direction on DCA bottle, it said 4 FL OZ per gallon. I wasn't sure because on forum, I read somewhere to get 4 bottles of them for whole 32 qt coolant system. I only put 2 bottles in because I know that I didn't get the whole coolant out when I replaced the Orings in the oil coolant part. Nope, I didn't pull the plug from the back of the engine. I just hope that I didn't overcharge the coolant with DCA. Need to run and grab these test strips since mine were too old, both expired in 2003 and 2004. Doubt that they are any good due to short shelf life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
so the old green coolant is OK, right??

I am pondering changing coolant also. I have some I bought awhile back, but wnat to confirm that the 'old', meaning old type, green coolant is OK, proviided you add DCA..??
specifically, I have 2 types on hand:

Prestone, yellow bottle, 'patened dualaction formula', ingredients" ethelene glycol, diethtlene glycol, water, corosion inhibitors."" no silicates or DCA mentioned.... (have 3 gals of this.)

I also have on hand Prestone SCA precharged, low silicate formula, Black bottle, w/'penray' technology.. ingredients list as above plus 'defoamer, silicates, dye'.. (have 2 gals of this one)

both of these I have had on hand unopened for years.. do the have a shelf life??

I hope you can clear this up for me.. I remain confused on this topic...
also, these diesels are fickle SOBs ain't they!!!

PS: is it recommended to change the thermostat? Or if it aint broke do not fix it.??

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I am pondering changing coolant also. I have some I bought awhile back, but wnat to confirm that the 'old', meaning old type, green coolant is OK, proviided you add DCA..??
specifically, I have 2 types on hand:

Prestone, yellow bottle, 'patened dualaction formula', ingredients" ethelene glycol, diethtlene glycol, water, corosion inhibitors."" no silicates or DCA mentioned.... (have 3 gals of this.)

I also have on hand Prestone SCA precharged, low silicate formula, Black bottle, w/'penray' technology.. ingredients list as above plus 'defoamer, silicates, dye'.. (have 2 gals of this one)

both of these I have had on hand unopened for years.. do the have a shelf life??

I hope you can clear this up for me.. I remain confused on this topic...
also, these diesels are fickle SOBs ain't they!!!

PS: is it recommended to change the thermostat? Or if it aint broke do not fix it.??
Use the black bottled Prestone. It is low silicate/Heavy Duty coolant. I am not sure about the shelf life but it should say somewhere on the bottles if there is a shelf life.

Griz

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been running CAT ELC in my 96 for 2-3 years now and have not had any problems at all.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Well, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been running CAT ELC in my 96 for 2-3 years now and have not had any problems at all.
I hear that a lot. I guess time will tell. Ford has approved using the gold HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolants in their vehicles as far back as the 1999 model year, providing the cooling system has been thoroughly flushed to remove all traces of the green coolant. If regular tap water is used instead of distilled or demineralized water, the recommended service interval is only 50,000 miles.
Ford does not recommend using propylene glycol-based coolants in any of their vehicles, or "universal" coolants that claim to be a replacement for any color antifreeze. They also have not approved the use of any organic acid technology (OAT) extended life coolants (ELC) in the PowerStroke cooling system. CAT ELC is an OAT coolant. There are other choices out there so my feelings are why risk it.

Griz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts