The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to repair the sealant that fills the seam on the firewall/bulkhead that becomes brittle and leaks water over the fuse block after time. This is the seam under the cabin fresh air intake and wipers. Has anyone else attempted this repair?

I was thinking of sealing this with a butyl rubber caulk that I've used for windshield installation. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
That should work, or use bath tub silicone, RTV. The key would be to get service as clean as possible before application.
DENNY

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Denny. I don't know that I would trust household silicone. But I did find what i think is the perfect product.

"Permanent bonding – above and below the waterline
Capable of retaining strong bonds during vibration, swelling, shrinking or shock "

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
That should work great!!
DENNY

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
That 3M Marine 5200 is awesome stuff. Kinda expensive, but if you need it, it's worth the cost.

Regular ol' automotive seam sealant like Randy 4614 suggested would work too. Probably not as sensitive to a bit of crud in the joint.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just bought a 3 oz. tube of it for $13. So yeah. Kind of expensive like you said. But i can't see needing more than 3 oz.

Plus when it says "It cures to form a firm, rubbery, waterproof seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline.", it makes me feel like it was made for this water leak issue.

I was searching for something like the seam sealant that Randy 4614 mentioned but guess I didn't have my terminology quite right in the search. What I had originally planned on using was the butyl rubber epoxy for sealing windshields. I know that would have been over kill just like the 3M marine 5200 but I want to make sure this SOB doesn't leak again in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I always buy mine at Home Depot for transom jobs and thru hull fittings- never had a leak, even below water.

BCE9DC9A-E951-4D7C-8004-30D210321A7C.png

1 - 8 of 8 Posts