The Diesel Stop banner

pulling safely?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ShaneD 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 F250 6.0 and a 28ft 1982 Layton Skyline bumper pull trailer. The trailer hooks up to an anti sway hitch on the ball set up. Total weight of truck and trailer is just over 12k ( no water, and about a half a tank of diesel fuel ). The trailer alone weighs just under 5k lbs. I am planning on towing the trailer from Utah to Oklahoma. Will this be a problem to pull that far? That will be the furthest I've ever pulled the trailer, as typically I stay in an around the major salt lake region here in Utah.

#2 ·
Hook it up and go.

Your biggest decision is going to be which route, I-70 or I-80. I-70 you are going to have two major passes to pull. Vail Pass will test the engine, with a automatic drop it out of over drive and keep the RPM up. Then just pass Vail Pass you will have Eisenhower a long steep grade, just do the same, but on the other side of Eisenhower you have a long downgrade all the way to Denver, pay attention to the signage about the grades.

I-80 you will have hills but nothing like I-70

For the truck I'd change the oil if it is close to being ready just so that you don't have to change it on the road. Carry a extra gallon or two of oil with you.

Reactions: ShaneD
#3 ·
Hook it up and go.

Your biggest decision is going to be which route, I-70 or I-80. I-70 you are going to have two major passes to pull. Vail Pass will test the engine, with a automatic drop it out of over drive and keep the RPM up. Then just pass Vail Pass you will have Eisenhower a long steep grade, just do the same, but on the other side of Eisenhower you have a long downgrade all the way to Denver, pay attention to the signage about the grades.

I-80 you will have hills but nothing like I-70

For the truck I'd change the oil if it is close to being ready just so that you don't have to change it on the road. Carry a extra gallon or two of oil with you.

Thank you sir! We actually were thinking of going down I-15 to outside vegas, over to hoover damn, and then out I-40 all the way across just to avoid the mountains and grades

#4 ·
That's even better.

I was once told that the best things that a traveler can do to prepare for a trip is to have a good credit card and a cell phone with them.

One thing to be aware of on I-40 is the heavy truck traffic. I usually travel it for 40-50 miles every year out of Holbrook Az and when you get a number of trucks passing you at one time it can get quite exciting.

Reactions: ShaneD
#5 ·
That's even better.

I was once told that the best things that a traveler can do to prepare for a trip is to have a good credit card and a cell phone with them.

One thing to be aware of on I-40 is the heavy truck traffic. I usually travel it for 40-50 miles every year out of Holbrook Az and when you get a number of trucks passing you at one time it can get quite exciting.

yeah, roger that! Thank you for the heads up! I appreciate the sound advice in your first statement, as we have both in preparation for this move

#6 ·
I was on I-40 last spring headed west with a camper and 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. We had hellacious headwinds and when passing or being passed by a semi, the bow wake would push us apart and at the rear, it would suck us in. You definitely need to be ready for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.