The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we know these babies are blowing and causing repair bills with two digits to the left of the comma. He have heard customer account's of the WIF light never illuminating. There are intra office emails out now with full blown mind blowing statements.

Who is concerned about this?

Who is up for an experiment testing there system?

Volume collected tripping light has had two different volume thresholds but in my mind is almost a mute point at this point in time.

Disconnect your intake and exit lines, clamp on fuel lines in and out put intake line in bucket of diesel with a measured amount of water in the bottom of bucket. Turn key on and see how much water cycles thru that separator along with the diesel into the other bucket. Have assistant watch for light. Then measure water.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So we know these babies are blowing and causing repair bills with two digits to the left of the comma. He have heard customer account's of the WIF light never illuminating. There are intra office emails out now with full blown mind blowing statements.

Who is concerned about this?

Who is up for an experiment testing there system?

Volume collected tripping light has had two different volume thresholds but in my mind is almost a mute point at this point in time.

Disconnect your intake and exit lines, clamp on fuel lines in and out put intake line in bucket of diesel with a measured amount of water in the bottom of bucket. Turn key on and see how much water cycles thru that separator along with the diesel into the other bucket. Have assistant watch for light. Then measure water.

Nick,
Do you have these emails that are "OUT"?
I am sure everyone who owns a 6.7 would be very interested in reading them. Can you post them up?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
It's your experiment, get to it. Show us what happens. Dieselsite has a $700 insurance policy that can be monitored easily.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had DieselSite filters on from day one. Didn't stop an $8900 failure. I'm keeping them, but they are not a panacea for this problem, mostly because I don't buy Ford's claim of contaminated fuel.

I'd love copies of those memos too.

Reactions: NYB and hatchchile

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dieselsite has a $700 insurance policy that can be monitored easily.
I was curious about the setup from Dieselsite and I had read (I thought on this site) that someone had bought one with a written guarantee that it would absolutely stop the flow of fuel if it contained water. That does not seem to be the case as shown from the reply I received from Dieselsite, but I will likely still get one because it is the best on the market today and Dan from Dieselsite states that no one has had a failure using one of their filters. YMMV!

Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2016 18:27
To: 2015_PSD
Cc: 'sales dieselsite.com' <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: DIESELSITE 2011-2015 FORD 6.7L FUEL FILTER / WATER SEPARATOR

Hi 2015_PSD,

Thank you for your email.

We sell this because Ford has an issue with water getting past their filtration system. We found out the hard way with our 2011 Ford 6.7L. Spent $12K with 18K miles.

It is not designed to stop fuel flow, but to separate the water. I cannot guarantee this because if you don’t empty the water out of the bowls, it can bypass the filters (this would mean close to ½ gallon of water was in your system). But I can state this: no customer has had to replace their fuel system with our filter in place.

Best regards,

Dan

---------- Original Message ----------
To: [email protected]
Date: May 4, 2016 at 5:51 PM
Subject: DIESELSITE 2011-2015 FORD 6.7L FUEL FILTER / WATER SEPARATOR
I am interested in purchasing one of these for a 2015 F-250 with a 6.7L PSD. Can you tell me if this filter will absolutely stop the flow of fuel to the HPFP if water is in the fuel?

Thanks!

--
2015_PSD

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come on y'all dig. I strayed from the herd to double over the ridge and pointed you guys to them. Leader of herd might not appreciate me doing so. You CAN find it if you think about where to look.

MX727, so they are guaranteed or no if you have a failure? Guess not from email relieved and posted by 2015. You all used the brand name of your equipment,I did not. I don't want to be thought of bashing something again. I am watching my Ps and Qs and staying technical and on point. I am saying when building or buying a separator filter system and you can build a bad boy, component manufacturers will make available to you a guideline to go by so your components are components meet all reguirements for what the system on what it's being mounted to. Alternately or in conjunction with or to talking with seasoned diesel mechanics that have seen varieties of different said systems.
Back to the system you fellas selected, does it have a heater or independant WIF sensor? I have not looked closely at it. I have only glanced when so,embody posted it or I looked at the site back when they started offering it,don't recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no Alcohol in additives

My suggestion is to stop using fuel additives that are mostly alcohol. Its an emulsifier and makes sure water and diesel mix going past the fuel separator. I see alot of bad pumps and cracked injectors from this.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a problem with the stock Verticle separator which they hoped was going to be an improvement on the horizontals of earlier trucks and the WIF light not illuminating for more than one reason including PCM stragies monitoring when the truck was moving not moving but running ect. when deciding to trip the light.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dan Shoda @ DieselSite said:
But I can state this: no customer has had to replace their fuel system with our filter in place.
Dan

How can the foregoing statement from DieselSite be true, if:

MX727 said:
Had DieselSite filters on from day one. Didn't stop an $8900 failure.

My 2014 with 74K shutdown while at highway speed. Pulled over and it would crank but not start. No warnings, no WIF, just quit. Had it towed to the dealer. That was Friday afternoon. Stopped by to check on it today and they found metal shavings in the fuel system.

In any case, the truck has had DieselSite filters on it from first month.

Just got back from a 3000 mile trip in March and April. Truck never sat with fuel for any appreciable time. Always fueled at major truck stops while on road and only get fuel from busiest station here in town when at home.

In short, there is nothing I could've done better and yet it happened to me.

They didn't cover it. (Neither Ford, nor the Extended Warranty that was purchased) Water and contamination according to Ford. Still stands that I couldn't have done anything. I drained all three filters right after it shutdown and there wasn't a drop of water in the fuel. This has to be emulsified water and unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it. I believe that Ford knows they have a problem, but as long as insurance companies keep picking up the tab, nothing will change.

At least GM is covering the Bosch pump.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
It's amazing how many so called "diesel techs" don't know squat about DAHL products.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How can the foregoing statement from DieselSite be true, if:
This was one of the reasons why I contacted Dieselsite to ask that specific question. I read (wish I could find the post) that someone had an e-mail or letter from Dieselsite stating their filter would "shutdown the flow of fuel" if water was detected. The poster went onto say that was the reason they bought the Dieselsite filter system. One of the very attractive things about the Dieselsite system is there is no cutting of fuel lines required (in another mail Dan told me this was one of the reasons for the $700 price tag) it connects to the factory lines with no extra work required. It does seem to be a good pre-filter system, but it does not appear to be a "end-all" solution to water in the fuel.

·
Registered
936 Posts
And, it is troubling that DieselSite states that they "haven't had a single customer" who purchased their filter kit have to replace their fuel system, even after one of their customers very openly stated they he has had their filter kit since his truck was less than 30 days old, and still had to have his fuel system replaced in less than 2 years, to the tune of nearly $9K.

So here we have MX727, in his 50's, who lays down $69K for a brand new 2014 F-450 CCLB DRW pickup, Lariat no less, and who buys an extended warranty, that promises extra assurance on top of Ford's warranty, I'm guessing for another $3.5K, despite the fact that Ford promises a 100,000 mile Powerstroke warranty. Adding the tally with sales tax, license, and doc fees... roughly $75K? Less than 30 days later, he spends another $700 on this filter kit, that promises he will never have a fuel system failure, as long as he drains the bowls of water.

He buys fuel at high volume stations, regularly drains all three filter bowls, and still gets his wallet drained of another $9K less than two years later. Ford doesn't help. The Extended Warranty doesn't help. DieselSite doesn't help. Nor should any of them help, right? It's all MX727's fault. That's what he gets for buying diesel where every one else buys diesel... the major fueling stations across America where diesel is sold. He should have known better.

In the meantime, Ford keeps selling more trucks with this fuel system that they do not warrant at all, but charge a small fortune to replace. And, the Extended Warranty company still sells extended warranties riddled with loopholes that absolve them from actually paying on claims, and charge a small fortune for the polices. And, DieselSite continues to sell filter kits, claiming that not a single one of their customers ever had a problem with their fuel system with their kit, and charges a small fortune for the ease of installation.

And the beauty of all this business is... people keep paying.

Which is why nothing will change.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have checked with my insurance agent.
I am fully and completely covered if for some reason I get a tank of contaminated fuel.
Anyone driving a modern diesel should make certain they have insurance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks NYB, although it made me a little sick to read that summary. Spot on though.

I still don't buy the contamination theory from Ford. That is why I believe the Dieselsite filters didn't shutdown the fuel flow. I've seen a water-block filter shutdown fuel flow on my off road tank at the farm, so I know how they do work.

I also edited my above post to clarify that I don't have an issue with the DieselSite filters.

I'm actually curious how if the HPR is full of fuel that it would have any rust inside, regardless of whether a trace amount of water was present or not. Seems to me that there would be a distinct lack of oxygen. I'm going to put a pit of water in a bucket and fill the rest with diesel. Throw in a piece of metal and see how much rust I get. Seems even less likely in a system that is moving fuel on a regular basis. Putting 75K on it in 33 months indicates that this truck hasn't really sat around for any length of time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks NYB, although it made me a little sick to read that summary. Spot on though.

I still don't buy the contamination theory from Ford. That is why I believe the Dieselsite filters didn't shutdown the fuel flow. I've seen a water-block filter shutdown fuel flow on my off road tank at the farm, so I know how they do work.

I also edited my above post to clarify that I don't have an issue with the DieselSite filters.

I'm actually curious how if the HPR is full of fuel that it would have any rust inside, regardless of whether a trace amount of water was present or not. Seems to me that there would be a distinct lack of oxygen. I'm going to put a pit of water in a bucket and fill the rest with diesel. Throw in a piece of metal and see how much rust I get. Seems even less likely in a system that is moving fuel on a regular basis. Putting 75K on it in 33 months indicates that this truck hasn't really sat around for any length of time.
Like ethanol, Bio diesel by nature is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water. It can pull water right from the air in a half empty tank.
Each water molecule contains two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen.
Iron absorbs oxygen when accompanied by water. So the rust will form.
Always keep your tank full when the truck is going to sit for some time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts