The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I need to purchase a new truck to pull my tandem axle conventional box trailer that typically weighs 7K - maybe as high as 10K at times. I would use it maybe 10 days a month. Was towing it with a 2003 Toyota 4Runner (RWD V8), but finally blew the rear axle with that much weight after 5-6 yrs hard use.

I rented a 2017 Cab/Chassis F450 6.7L Dually while my axle was swapped out. That thing pulled like a dream. Never knew the trailer was even hooked up. Now realize how on the edge the 4R was... :( and need to upgrade to prevent future damage and add a safety margin.

I'm looking for a clean/ solid running rig. GM/ FCA don't appeal to me (aesthetics/ bail outs/ overall quality). Toyota doesn't make anything big enough IMO. So that leaves me with Ford. (I've had three Ford cars in the past Capri, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis. in the late 1980s.)

Due to the desire to haul some heavy bed cargo weight in addition to pulling the trailer I'm only considering the F350 SRW, F350 DRW, and the F450. Really leaning to the DRWs due to stability of the platform and extra cargo capacity; and F450 for the max capacity and nice turning radius. Just followed a fellow on the freeway with a long travel trailer behind a F350 SRW and he was swaying in the wind...just enhanced my opinion/ desire for DRW. I'm also in snow/ice area so want 4x4.

I'm finding most of the older trucks available are simply trashed. Torn up & smelly interiors or leaky/ hard starting/ questionable engines...and high prices still. Most available are 2008 6.4Ls with next being 05-07 6.0Ls, all of varying quality. To compound the issue, I prefer an up trim package (Lariat/ King Ranch/Platinum) and Crew Cab as I would also like to deploy it for family use on occasion. [the old Champagne tastes/ beer budget story...]

Great condition 7.3L PSD CC are like unicorns... I'm a bit shy of the 6.0Ls (but willing to look at 06/07s if really good shape) so was focused on the 6.4s and finding mostly junk at all price ranges - especially the 2008s - so re focused on 2009-2010 which seem in nicer condition but few available. So I branched out into the 6.7Ls. What I'm finding that I can (almost) afford are mostly 2011s with an occasional 2012. 2013+ are out of my price range at this time. (I'm trying to stay in the 20K-30K range with a stretch to mid $30s for a great example 6.7L) {I can find $50-60K nice 6.7L all day long, but this is not where I need the vehicle to be at this time} I haven't seen any 6.4L F450s in 2010s only 2008s. The 6.7Ls I can afford are generally high mile 2011s. The miles don't concern me too much, but first year foibles do have me anxious.

So after looking at over 2,000 online and at least 75 in person, I'm down to this on current finds:

1) Clean 2010 F350 SRW 6.4L 130K miles
vs
2) 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 195K miles
or
3) 2011 F450 with 160K miles

4) or you suggest???

Long story, but in short looking for robust, clean, dual duty work horse.

Thanks for your opinions.

{note: tried to post a poll first, but didn't show up - so trying a repost without the poll in case as a new member that isn't allowed...}

· Registered
9 Posts
not trying to start a debate here, but since nobody has responded, i figured i would chime in. how do you know your trailer weighs that much? have you had it on a scale? V8 or not, a 4 runner cant pull 7k-10k.

to answer your question, i would stay away from any 6.4 and doing research on here would show you that 2011 6.7's had their fair share of issues (turbos.) why wouldnt you consider a 6.0? parts and repair are much cheaper than a 6.4 or 6.7. keep in mind, diesels require more maintenance and care compared to a gasser. my 7.3 is a great truck but it definitely takes more attention than my hemi.

also, a toyota tundra will pull your "alleged" 10k lb trailer.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my 4 runner can pull the weight. I did it for 6 years before crunching the differential. It is rated for 7,500 lbs towing.

Tandem axle box trailer weighs 2,300# empty, full time equipment load is 3,900#, materials load varies from 1,000# to 4,000# = total 7K-10K. I have measured the tongue weight as high as 1,800# 4R hits the bump stops at that weight. I tried the "up to 1,000#" helper air bags, but they blow out in an hour or two. (tried 3 sets and gave up on them)

Given that i can get sway above 55mph unless the load is balanced very well and the 4R rides the bump stops at times; I want to move up to a PSD dually. I don't think the Tundra will be much (or at least not enough) better with the SRW setup.

I have researched the engines, and found a plethora of 6.0 concerns listed; as well as most of those are getting long in the tooth both miles and truck wear/tear; engine and transmission leaks, etc. The more I look at real world 6.4s I'm getting very leery of them (lots of leaks and more) I've seen a 20K ford long block replacement engine with a bed plate leak (truck had 70K), and most I'm finding are 2008s with 150k+ miles = end of life IMO. I'm also aware of the early 6.7 turbos, and am looking for 2012-2013s if I can afford them.

IF 6.0s in the 2006-2007 model years are mostly trouble free? ... I might consider one with lower miles. If going that route, should I find a low mileage one and do the deletes or get one deleted already with moderate miles? I've seen a couple with 20-30K miles in very clean original condition, but they are as expensive as an average 2011-2012 6.7L... so that doesn't make sense to me.

· Registered
9 Posts
sounds like youre even exceeding the capacity of your trailer.

if i was in your shoes, i'd buy a 7.3 or 6.0. if i went with a 6.0, i would buy one thats unmolested and pay to have the bullet proofing done at a reputable shop. youll find that some 6.0 owners have a different interpretations what being bullet proofed actually is so i wouldnt necessarily buy one that has been "bullet proofed" unless the owner can show documentation proving it.

no matter what direction you go, all these truck have their issues. its whether or not its worth the headache to you. theres been a few times where i was overwhelmed with the repairs on my 7.3 and almost sold it. glad i toughed it out and kept it cuz its a great rig and it serves its purpose.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

After three months of searching, I settled on a super clean, but high (highway) mileage all original 2012 F-350 Lariat Ultimate FX4 SRW.

I tried to find a good 6.0L but wasn't satisfied with anything out there. Many 6.4L that I came across had bad engines. In addition most 6.7Ls were not in great shape either. Mileage didn't seem to matter. Anything over 35K was worn out AND out of my price range. LOL

Attachments

· Registered
358 Posts
Congrats, looks like a great truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.