The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this site so I hope that I'm posting this where I'm suppose to.
Anyway we have a 2012 f550 6.7 powerstroke still under warranty. gas was added and ran instead of diesel. Not sure exactly if truck died first or dash light came on and driver pulled over. At rate truck was towed to dealership where they said will cost $14,000.00 to fix. It would appear that they want to replace everything related to the fuel system. Does this seem normal? My neighbor did this to his 2006 cummings and it was only $800.00 to fix. Why the difference in price? Is there something here that I'm missing? Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

Scott

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Modern diesel high pressure fuel pumps depend on the fuel for lubrication. Water, gas, or alcohol cause them to grenade. The metal particles ruin the fuel injectors thus the high cost to repair. I'd price around since the price was $9,000 when people first started complaining about this. If this is a business, I'd check insurance. Some private owners have gotten their insurance to pay when the fuel was contaminated at the fuel station.

·
Registered
652 Posts
What's a cummings? And Blue12 is right. Contact your insurance. Most will cover this type of damage, especially on fully covered vehicles. The whole system has to be replaced, period. Half ass it and you will be where you are again and out the parts/labor you already installed. You will also have to have proof that the whole system was replaced to have your engine/fuel system warranty reinstated.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You can buy the whole fuel system kit for under $4,000. One part number, comes with everything you need minus a few small things.

$16k... complete dealer ripoff.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ford parts online has the engine portion of the fuel system for $4100. But it says that they will not ship it. In addition, many shops -dealer or not- will not clean a contaminated fuel tank. The potential for delamination issues from the gas, metal flake from the exploded pump, or in the case of DEF contamination, residual contaminant is too big a liability. Tanks go for around $2000/each. If its a two tank that is 4k just in fuel tanks, a lift pump and switching valve. We don't know though because he didn't say.
Most shops -dealership or not- will charge around 30 hours of labor. Depending on labor and tax rates $14K is not too far out of line IF its a 2 tank system and they are replacing tanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I realize it is not the same engine but I filled my 2005 GMC 3500 with gasoline and continued on my vacation, almost immediately the engine light went off and the engine started to run poorly. Contacted On-Star (only time I ever did), they were able to arrange for me to been seen right away at a nearby GMC dealership which I was able to limp to. The technician flushed my fuel system and I was on the road an hour later, I don't recall the cost for the service but I think it was only a few hundred dollars. I drove that truck another 50,000 miles until I sold it and never had any engine or fuel issues. No parts were replaced, just a flush.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I realize it is not the same engine but I filled my 2005 GMC 3500 with gasoline and continued on my vacation, almost immediately the engine light went off and the engine started to run poorly. Contacted On-Star (only time I ever did), they were able to arrange for me to been seen right away at a nearby GMC dealership which I was able to limp to. The technician flushed my fuel system and I was on the road an hour later, I don't recall the cost for the service but I think it was only a few hundred dollars. I drove that truck another 50,000 miles until I sold it and never had any engine or fuel issues. No parts were replaced, just a flush.
The 2011 and up Fords can't handle fuel system contaminants, be it water or gas.

·
Registered
652 Posts
08 and up. The 6.4 is just as fragile. Probably worse considering the differences in the HFCM's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts