The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of finding a fifth wheel camper to live in and and I was prepping my truck (02 F250 7.3 4x4 longbed) and pulled the Putnam Hitch Firehawk II gooseneck fifth wheel combo out of the garage to reinstall in my truck. Much to my dismay, the pillow blocks that serve as the interface for the fifth wheel adaptor, have broken.

Does anyone know where I can find a new set of blocks? Putnam hitch closed their doors a while back and google doenst seem to be of much help.

This seems like a high quality hitch and Id rather not buy a whole new one given my limited budget.

That said, if the parts cannot be found is there any way to convert a trailer from fifth wheel king pin to a gooseneck thats not horrible or dangerous, and cheaper than a new fifth wheel hitch?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am currently in the process of finding a fifth wheel camper to live in and and I was prepping my truck (02 F250 7.3 4x4 longbed) and pulled the Putnam Hitch Firehawk II gooseneck fifth wheel combo out of the garage to reinstall in my truck. Much to my dismay, the pillow blocks that serve as the interface for the fifth wheel adaptor, have broken.

Does anyone know where I can find a new set of blocks? Putnam hitch closed their doors a while back and google doenst seem to be of much help.

This seems like a high quality hitch and Id rather not buy a whole new one given my limited budget.

That said, if the parts cannot be found is there any way to convert a trailer from fifth wheel king pin to a gooseneck thats not horrible or dangerous, and cheaper than a new fifth wheel hitch?

I bought the Anderson Ultimate Connection 5Th Wheel to Gooseneck converter this year. That pyramid looking contraption. I got mine on Amazon and it didnt take long. Etrailer.com also has them and they are knowledgable.

I was skeptical when I first started looking at it. Cause yes, its not what you are used to seeing.

Pulls super fine. Smooth, no bucking or chucking. Anderson is outstanding and stand behind their work. They promptly shipped me a new one just because I sent an email saying there was a minor scratch from shipping when it was probably UPSs fault. Some of the other hitch manufacturers don't seem very responsive to questions or friendly. Not all, theres other good manufactures and Cequent markets and bought up several brands, Reese, Draw-Tite I think and others.

The Anderson price was very competitive for some of the conveinance it offers.

Another great feature is I can take the hitch out of the bed easily by myself in a couple of minutes and have the cargo room. It weighs about 75 lb. I can quickly install it as well. Some of these 5th wheel hitches weigh over 200 lbs - no? Not saying they are bad because they are good - just heavy for one person with a bad back or shoulder.

It has a hitch coupling block that does not require lube, no grease mess to contend with.

The design is - unconventional thats true. Thinking outside the box. But then you look at it and go "why didn't I think of that!".

It may not be everyone's cup of tea but works for me and has very strong reviews last I checked early summer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some people are nervous about 5th to Gooseneck conversions and that can be a consideration for some. While that may be a debatable consideration with some designs, the Anderson hitch virtually exerts the same leverage forces as a 5th wheel from what I can tell because of its design. How would the king pin know any differance on how it was being towed along?

Anyway there's people who say they wont go back to a conventional 5th after trying the Anderson. Im liking mine.

I did get the safety chain kit and do use it. Many states reqiure safety chains when towing on the ball. Even a bed ball gooseneck. I don't mind em.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
If your still looking for a 5er, just get one that already has the gooseneck hitch on it, or have the seller put one on it if buying from an RV dealer. The size 5er for an F250 can't be over about 30 ft if even that, depending on weight and tongue weight.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
...the pillow blocks that serve as the interface for the fifth wheel adaptor, have broken.
Does anyone know where I can find a new set of blocks?
Try a local fabrication shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your still looking for a 5er, just get one that already has the gooseneck hitch on it, or have the seller put one on it if buying from an RV dealer. The size 5er for an F250 can't be over about 30 ft if even that, depending on weight and tongue weight.

I have an an F-350 with ZF5 manual & I pull a 26' 5er. It's big enough for me since I solo wander. It would still be big enough for another person at least for my needs. I could pull a bigger RV but would rather use the extra capacity for tools and gear and hopefully keep a buffer below capacity. It sure it tempting to go as big as possible though for a trailer but I'm glad I undershot size and weight.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts