The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering wheres the easiest place to install a pyrometer? The truck does have the Banks turbo elbow which I believe has a fitting that can be removed for such installations. But everyone says that the pyrometer should be pre-turbo for best results. What should I do?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
PRE turbo is the BEST

that way you will know when the exhaust is getting too hot to put back into the engine..not when it's on it's way out and TOO LATE. I asked the same thing when I got my gauges and the overwhelming answer was PRE TURBO.. in the exhaust manifold if possible. I put mine in the D/S manifold, up just where the "casting" goes across all 4 exhaust ports. that way I am getting temps about 1-2" out of the cylinder, but then I want to know at the earliest possible point what the engine is doing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much of a pain in the @$$ is installing the temp sender in the manifold?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I removed the "cross over pipe' and it took a total of about 1/2 hr. for thermocoupler install. I threaded the manifold and used the "set screw" with mine, some you just drill and then use a ceramic "washer" and a large hose clamp. I removed the pipe so that the metal shavings would fall out when I drilled. Others will say to use grease on the drill bit.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you put the sender in the crossover pipe?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
So you put the sender in the crossover pipe?
No..mine is in the exhaust manifold. On the drivers side just after cylinder #8 exhaust port, that way it gets the flow of all 4 cylinders on that side. The crossover pipe is not thick enough to hold threads.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it only took you a half hour to remove the manifold? I thought that would take a little longer than that?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
And it only took you a half hour to remove the manifold? I thought that would take a little longer than that?
Sorry I probabaly didn't make it clear enough..I didn't remove the manifold, just the pipe that goes from the manifold to the other side for the turbo. If yours is a PSD it might be called the "UP PIPE" on my IDI the drivers side manifold has a pipe that goes to the pass. side and they hook up to the turbo on the pass side of the engine. PSD's have the turbo "centered" IIRC and the exhaust manifolds have an up pipe from each side to the turbo.. I just removed the pipe to remove the shavings... I've been wrenching for a while and I have the tools to dismantle and reassemble things quickly.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I guess I haven't looked close enough to see how the exhaust is pieced together yet. Tools wont be a problem. I just don't know how easy its going to be to get access to the manifold in truck.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody with a 99-03 have any input?

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
You don't have to remove anything. There is a sponsor here called Diesel Manor. Look for instructions on their website.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
Anybody with a 99-03 have any input?
Crawl under the truck with your head under the oil filter. Look up to the exhaust manifold. You have at least three options for the pre-turbo thermocouple.

1] Drill the hole in the up pipe about an inch above the flange for the exhaust manifold. Then use a clamp-in thermocouple.

2] Drill the hole in the middle of the neck of the exhaust manifold, then use a clamp-in thermocouple with the big "hose" clamp around the neck of the manifold.

3] Drill and tap a threaded hole in the exhaust manifold about an inch from the flange for the up pipe.

Mine is clamped into the up pipe, with a plugged hole in the manifold where there used to be one screwed in. The arrow points to the "pipe" plug (LPT threads). And the next photo shows one clamped into the neck of the manifold. In both photos, the white blob at the bottom of the photo is the oil filter:

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we did my buddys, their was only 1 easy place to fit the drill into. But we did the clamp method also. diddn't take him long to drill the hole either, Expecally after all the horror stories about the bit getting braking off on it. btw he diddn't use any grease, just vaccumed the hole after words and stepped the bits to keep the shavings small.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweetness! Im prolly not gonna do it until spring but I just wanted to make sure it was something I could tackle myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts