The Diesel Stop banner

Quad, Banks, SCT or Fords Fault?

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  CarterKraft 
#1 ·
As you can see by my sig I have had all three. Well I picked up my new 5er in Utah this weekend and coming back we were going to stay in Bryce Canyon area, as we turned on to Hiway 20 it happened, the passenger side plastic cap on the intercooler blew apart. Now let me back up, as we were pulling another grade the truck got kind of hot, boost was pegged at 30 psi and the temp got to about 240 and the check gauges light came on. Was this the fault of the boost trickery that was on in my SCT towing program? Don't know. So since it was a holiday weekend and nothing open we pulled the intercooler out on the side of the hiway to find that the little devider in there was blown out and rattling around and it looked like the whole thing had gotten hot and warped, we did the best we could in getting the gasket back in and re-crimping the tank back on and we limped back home to CA. Good thing my step dad is a Ford mechanic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif By the way you can get the intercooler out by pulling the top support of the radiator.
One question I have is the Banks technicooler intercooler solid aluminum? Hope this helps someone out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

See less See more
#7 ·
If you run statistics on the proportion of modded trucks that have some kind of engine or drivetrain problem and compare that to what stockers display, I am certain (I don't have the numbers, but I'll bet a significant sum) you will find a significantly higher number of modded trucks report problems.

So, the mods somehow are likely to blame for a lot of problems. Let's be honest, adding power is the easiest way to add stress, and those components that can't handle the added stress will begin to fail.

Now, one of the mods that can do this damage most easily are the chips or tuners. It is very tempting to download a program and tap into an extra 100HP, isn't it? But with the desire to add power should come an appreciation for the ramifactions of that power. Besides making your truck bark the tires and all that other stuff, it will add stress to the tranny, to the heads, and other areas (like the number of EGR failures modded trucks have.....it's no coincidence that these richer tunes, which generate a lot more soot under certain conditions, happen to be in trucks that have EGR problems). Another factor is, as good as the engineers and techs are who develop the tuner software, how do they know that their changes don't have any other trickle-down effects? I don't know of any, but I often wonder if there are some built-in Ford programs that use info from the power management algorithm to make decisions on other systems that ultimately get fubared as a result of the tuner modifications. That is, the tuners don't replace the entire computer software system; rather it is just a subroutine-type insertion. For chips, the questions are similar. The bottom line is these tuners and chips increase system stress, and to really use the extra power, reliably, over a long period of time, the user must also address the various weakneses thus created.

As to fault, I don't think it is either the tuners' fault or Ford's. Ford is only culpable for things that happen on stock trucks. The application of extra power totally relieves Ford of any responsibility if anything in the engine/drivetrain fails UNLESS it also happens to be something that has a noted problem in stockers. I think the lion's share of responsibility for damage done after adding power lies with the user.

[ QUOTE ]
We all have to have half a brain before deciding to add the power.....realize it is likely to damage a few things.....beef some things up before they fail if you can....but be prepared, because it is more likely than not that you will encounter a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think, though, that the companies that provide power upgrades should proactively educate their customers on the potential risks (I'm sure Banks runs their whole business model around this concept), and how to use their technology with minimal risk. I would say a tuner company is culpable if they sell their technologies with the disclaimer that it will not cause any harm.....and you'd have to be pretty stupid to believe them too.....

RL

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
As you can see by my sig I have had all three. Well I picked up my new 5er in Utah this weekend and coming back we were going to stay in Bryce Canyon area, as we turned on to Hiway 20 it happened, the passenger side plastic cap on the intercooler blew apart. Now let me back up, as we were pulling another grade the truck got kind of hot, boost was pegged at 30 psi and the temp got to about 240 and the check gauges light came on. Was this the fault of the boost trickery that was on in my SCT towing program? Don't know. So since it was a holiday weekend and nothing open we pulled the intercooler out on the side of the hiway to find that the little devider in there was blown out and rattling around and it looked like the whole thing had gotten hot and warped, we did the best we could in getting the gasket back in and re-crimping the tank back on and we limped back home to CA. Good thing my step dad is a Ford mechanic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif By the way you can get the intercooler out by pulling the top support of the radiator.
One question I have is the Banks technicooler intercooler solid aluminum? Hope this helps someone out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's your fault because you are a bad person!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, I've played with the 6.0 and been lucky, others have not. Sort of like speeding 71 in a 70 zone going to get you a ticket? 81 in a 70 zone going to get you a ticket? probably yes and 91 well...... yes.

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
And why would I have anything to do with this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Quad,
As in past cases you have not seen that this is a question that I was putting out there for some intelligent responses. I was not blaming any one product, just stating that I have had all three.
I think Ford is a little to blame for this if anyone is. You do not see plastic tanks on the big rig intercoolers. My stepdad works for Ford and he has replaced a few of these because of the exact same thing that happened to me.
Now if my tranny went out then yes I would say that it was your fault because your product shifted like crap. So to start talking down to me like you are some god of diesel performance is wrong. I hope that I don't hurt anyone else's feelings out there. Geez lighten up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Geez lighten up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mirror, mirror on the wall...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#12 ·
Doesn't the 6L have a boost limit of 27psi, and that maybe with an error margain of 10% added, and then someone puts more through there, then what the original was designed for, that maybe a problem would occur.

I dont know?, if, the original manufacturer could be blamed for his specs being exceeded..

Or, could we blame the OEM for not building enough room into his specs to cover future modifications?

#13 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Hills are Killers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gifKeep us posted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
So to start talking down to me like you are some god of diesel performance is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since when is asking a question talking down to someone? By putting Quad in the headline, you were implying that his tuner may have a part in the problem, other wise his name would not be there!

You are 100% to blame for the problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#16 ·
I have to agree with hdmax. By reading your sig. and proud of the extra goodies you have added to your truck.... it wasn't to get superb fuel economy or drivability. I have ran many of Quad's products and have not had a fit out of any of them.

I don't think it is really relivant putting him in subject line of this post b/c from just viewing previous post I know it has been quite some time since you even ran one of his products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#17 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And why would I have anything to do with this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Quad,
As in past cases you have not seen that this is a question that I was putting out there for some intelligent responses. I was not blaming any one product, just stating that I have had all three.
I think Ford is a little to blame for this if anyone is. You do not see plastic tanks on the big rig intercoolers. My stepdad works for Ford and he has replaced a few of these because of the exact same thing that happened to me.
Now if my tranny went out then yes I would say that it was your fault because your product shifted like crap. So to start talking down to me like you are some god of diesel performance is wrong. I hope that I don't hurt anyone else's feelings out there. Geez lighten up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, big trucks do have plastic tanked I/C's. It's called saving money. Why do you think the 05's have less common features than previous years, you can bet it's not provide you with a better product. Why do radiators have plastic tanks, do you think they could possibly be made by the same equipment?

#19 ·
[ QUOTE ]
i Think You got blame in right order.

[/ QUOTE ]

well enlighten us all and please explain why this would be Quad's fault.

thomas

#20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
"Now if my tranny went out then yes I would say that it was your fault because your product shifted like crap."

The Quad box doesn't touch the tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]
And there lies the problem. Anytime you add horsepower things have to be done to other drivtrain componets. Just like back in the day when you built hot rods....did you not put a shift kit in?
If you guys do not believe me about the shifting problems I had with Quad then so be it.
I'm well past the point of putting Quad down, after all he did refund my money.
Again if you guys would look at the original post I just wanted some feedback as to if it was any one product or if it was a combination of products.
I know this will not happen to me again because I have a full aluminum Banks intercooler now.
I will be honest, I have not ran any of Quads new stuff and it sounds like people are having good luck with it. If you are happy with the way your vehicle runs then I'm happy for you. Keep on Truckin.

#21 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Now if my tranny went out then yes I would say that it was your fault because your product shifted like crap."

The Quad box doesn't touch the tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]
And there lies the problem. Anytime you add horsepower things have to be done to other drivtrain componets. Just like back in the day when you built hot rods....did you not put a shift kit in?
If you guys do not believe me about the shifting problems I had with Quad then so be it.
I'm well past the point of putting Quad down, after all he did refund my money.
Again if you guys would look at the original post I just wanted some feedback as to if it was any one product or if it was a combination of products.
I know this will not happen to me again because I have a full aluminum Banks intercooler now.
I will be honest, I have not ran any of Quads new stuff and it sounds like people are having good luck with it. If you are happy with the way your vehicle runs then I'm happy for you. Keep on Truckin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to borrow a TS box to see how it shifts? I'll send you one no charge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.