The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new glow plugs in my truck three years ago. Needs them again. Last install was glow plugs, rocker cover gaskets, and glow plug relay replacement. 3 years ago. Now should I do the same or just change the glow plugs?
It’s symptoms are cool ambient temperatures exhibits extremely long cranks. Using block heater starts immediately. If it’s cold weather I always plug in. Starts easily.
I know it’s a dumb question but does old (3yr) gaskets and relay controller contribute much to startups in mild ambient temperatures? Generally speaking. I always get OEM Motorkraft replacement parts. It’s a early ‘99 7.3.

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
I'd test them before I replaced them.

I'm going on 24 years with stock glow plugs and gaskets. But the gaskets are reuseable as long as you don't destroy them and as long as the glow plugs test OK there is no reason to replace them.

On your glow plug relay do you have the controller or just a relay, that is the weak point in the glow plug system.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd test them before I replaced them.

I'm going on 24 years with stock glow plugs and gaskets. But the gaskets are reuseable as long as you don't destroy them and as long as the glow plugs test OK there is no reason to replace them.

On your glow plug relay do you have the controller or just a relay, that is the weak point in the glow plug system.
I have a DY-861 (F81Z-12B533-AC)
Control Asy.

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
Here is how to test the relay and glow plugs from one of KLHansens post

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
I'll bet it's your GP relay. Glow plugs should easily last longer than 3 years. I've had stock Intenational GPR's (the exact same thing you buy from Ford, but for way less money, go bad in less than 3 months. They're just too weak for the service they get. A Stancor (White-Rodgers) 586-902 relay is an upgrade that will last you for years, if not decades.

That thread link that bugman posted will get you on the right track.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Following up on my hard start issues and progress in light of dealing with this world health nightmare. The tests indicated a failed GPR. Ran both suggested voltage checks several times. Thanks for the help guys. Decided I will install the more robust White Rogers heavy duty relay. Just have to get my hands on the new part.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
These are my favorite guys to do business with:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are my favorite guys to do business with:

I ordered it from DieselORings yesterday. Will be ordering more parts from them soon. Sounds like a good place to do my parts business. I have some low power issues but not sure what’s causing it?? Sometimes feels like I have my foot on the brake when I accelerate then the power comes in, usually during a light tip in. Thinking maybe fuel pump or turbo, or clogged fuel tank strainers. Might as well work on this truck, can’t go anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
You might want to start a new thread with the new issue you describe.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay got the White Rodgers (586-902 heavy glow plug relay. Installed it today. Solved the long cranking problem. If you’re having a similar starting problem and your relay tests bad I would suggest this White Rodgers upgrade. The mounting bracket is different but it is slotted so it fits over the existing mounting studs on my early (4P) ‘99 vehicle. No fabrication or drilling new mount holes , just mount it horizontal facing 10 o’clock and slip it into position and fasten in place with original studs/nuts. Truck started right up with no Pre-heat. Also disassembled the old relay to look at contacts, I’ll put a picture in my album of the eroded contacts. The White Rodgers part was $56 plus shipping from DieselORings , A popular Standard Brand of the lighter OEM duty relay was $2 less on Rockauto so it turns out not that much more for the Heavy Service relay upgrade.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay got the White Rodgers (586-902 heavy glow plug relay. Installed it today. Solved the long cranking problem. If you’re having a similar starting problem and your relay tests bad I would suggest this White Rodgers upgrade. The mounting bracket is different but it is slotted so it fits over the existing mounting studs on my early (4P) ‘99 vehicle. No fabrication or drilling new mount holes , just mount it horizontal facing 10 o’clock and slip it into position and fasten in place with original studs/nuts. Truck started right up with no Pre-heat. Also disassembled the old relay to look at contacts, I’ll put a picture in my album of the eroded contacts. The White Rodgers part was $56 plus shipping from DieselORings , A popular Standard Brand of the lighter OEM duty relay was $2 less on Rockauto so it turns out not that much more for the Heavy Service relay upgrade.
I sure appreciate the advice and help from you other owners in getting the problem fixed. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts