The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a AFE intake spider and bilet intake plentoms. Would this help for pulling a fifth wheel ect. I have a ball buster turbo,S&B intake,walker BTM and edge programer.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thinking about getting a AFE intake spider and bilet intake plentoms. Would this help for pulling a fifth wheel ect. I have a ball buster turbo,S&B intake,walker BTM and edge programer.
No. Probably a better intake. I saw 100F drop in EGTs from my AFE stage 1 to the 6637. Better tuning will help too. I've read a couple of reviews of people that tried other tuner(s) and they had less EGTs with Power Hungry Performance. Also water/meth injection will knock a big dent in the EGTs and add power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well, I will add this. And this is with what I just did to my F550,,,,,,,,,,

I just added exactly those 2 products, plus Banks exhaust turbine, Banks brake, and Banks wheel.....

I already the tuning that was to included these items ( DP Tuner 80 tow )

Let me tell you, these parts made a difference !

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Well, I will add this. And this is with what I just did to my F550,,,,,,,,,,

I just added exactly those 2 products, plus Banks exhaust turbine, Banks brake, and Banks wheel.....

I already the tuning that was to included these items ( DP Tuner 80 tow )

Let me tell you, these parts made a difference !
Do you have gauges?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have a boost and transmission gauge. The truck runs fine, but I just don't see hardly any boost unless I tow my fifth wheel. I normaly just run the edge on 60 towing. The most boost I'v seen was about 15 when towing my fifth wheel up hill. When driving unloaded at highway speeds I might see 3psi. I also lost about 2 1/2 mpg on the highway, down to 17 1/2 from about 20. I thought it might be the ulsd fuel now. I still get about 11mpg towing a 31ft fifth wheel with my swivel wheel trailer with my electra glide on the back. It's a 01 super cab auto with 3.73 gears. 83K on the clock.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I only have a boost and transmission gauge. The truck runs fine, but I just don't see hardly any boost unless I tow my fifth wheel. I normaly just run the edge on 60 towing. The most boost I'v seen was about 15 when towing my fifth wheel up hill. When driving unloaded at highway speeds I might see 3psi. I also lost about 2 1/2 mpg on the highway, down to 17 1/2 from about 20. I thought it might be the ulsd fuel now. I still get about 11mpg towing a 31ft fifth wheel with my swivel wheel trailer with my electra glide on the back. It's a 01 super cab auto with 3.73 gears. 83K on the clock.
EGT is the most important gauge to have. I would check for a boost leak. If you have a stock turbo you should see about 30psi. You lose 1mpg (avg) for winter blend diesel. I like running Diesel Kleen (white bottle) from time to time especially in the winter. It replaces the cetane lost from the mfg'ing of it plus just it being winter blend.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes, I have a full set of gages....

At 60 mph I am at 750 degrees F.... My truck weighs 13,000 lbs and has a large, tall utility body on it ( wind drag ! )

Boost at that speed on flat ground is 10 psi ( or so )

My EGT's dropped about 100 degrees after these mods.

Plus, you must admit, they look really cool when you pop the hood !!!!!

Can't help it, your rig must look HOT !:thup::thup::thup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to check the wastgate rod adjustment 1st, I don't remember setting it with a 6 turn preload when I put the put the turbo on a few years back. Then I'll check for boost leaks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's a good idea.

Let me add some other things I did.

I put the truck in my shop for 5 months ( construction is a bit slow right now )

I did these procedures also.

Pulled and washed out the intercooler. ( not much oil )
Added Dieselsite boots all the way around.
Added the BD CCV mod..
Ceramic IH up pipes.
Rebuilt the turbo. ( too easy ! )

I also found 1 of my turbine bolts had fallen out . I replaced them with Stage 8 locking bolts and tabs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts