The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vendor
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Drum Automotive design

These days, even a simple automotive repair can cost upwards of a thousand dollars at a professional shop. Big-ticket jobs, such as engine and transmission replacements, can really break the bank, sometimes costing more than $10,000.

With that in mind, we want to know: What’s the most expensive automotive repair you’ve ever had to pay for? Was it an engine, a transmission, or something else altogether? Let’s hear your story!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I guess I've been really fortunate for the most part with my vehicles. The worst I have had was when my Toyota Tercel busted a radiator hose while I was driving down the freeway. The water went out and the temperature gauge went up to the top in about one second. I tried to take a freeway offramp, but only made it half way when the engine quit. I had the car towed to the mechanic. The mechanic said that it wasn't worth fixing, and charged me $500 for his expert opinion. So I paid him the $500, called the junk yard, and they sent a tow truck for it to haul it to the junk yard. That was the last I saw of it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had the misfortune to toast an 8-92 in a converted Prevost on the Syracuse bypass. Two weeks later the final bill was somewhere north of $23k.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts