The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to put a metal roof over old shingles. There seems to be only two brands in my area Metal Sales and Omni Series of Everlast Roofing. Price is very close to being the same. Is 29ga the same as .015 . Both say they are 29ga. but in the Everlast booklet they also mention " .015 min. hard high tensile steel with 95,000psi min yield.
Any suggestions about the job would be appreciated.Never did this before

·
Registered
919 Posts
Where are ya located? We just built a new house and used 26ga 5 V crip aluma-gal. Beautiful roof and will outlast asphalt shingles by at least twice as long. We also got a slight reduction in homeowners insurance because of the reduced fire damage threat.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No offfense, but do yourself a favor and strip the old roof before putting on a metal roof.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told the big advantage of going to a metal roof was to avoid the work and cost of takeing off the old roof. The person that is helping and most familiar with this said we would lay furring strips to old roof and screw to that. What is the problem of going this way. The building is a well insulated garage that is 60X40 and 17 ft. to inside ceiling that is finished.Sofits are vented.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
No offfense, but do yourself a favor and strip the old roof before putting on a metal roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto and dry the roof in with peal and stick that is RATED for high temps under metal. Your roof will never leak.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Planning to put a metal roof over old shingles. There seems to be only two brands in my area Metal Sales and Omni Series of Everlast Roofing. Price is very close to being the same. Is 29ga the same as .015 . Both say they are 29ga. but in the Everlast booklet they also mention " .015 min. hard high tensile steel with 95,000psi min yield.
Any suggestions about the job would be appreciated.Never did this before

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually Steel is measured in gauge and aluminum is measured in thousands. For locations near salt water I always design .040 or greater aluminum but inland we use .26 gauge GALVALUME. In gauges the bigger the number the thinner the metal.....29 gauge is very thin. 26 is our minimum.

·
Registered
304 Posts
29 gauge metal can range from .0142 to .015 and be classified as the same. I can feel a difference in sheets of 29 gauge metal. The outer ribs will bend a lot easier by hand and will crease easily if your not careful on the thinner sheets.

It is okay to put the metal over the shingles. I would lay a 3/4" insulation of your choice down first. 29 gauge is plenty thick for a house roof, but roof editor is correct in 26 gauge being better. 26 gauge is the standard for most commercial applications. I also just noted his location and 26 gauge is almost always used in florida.

There is also painted gavalnized and painted galvalume. The later is the one you want to use as it is far superior in terms of longevity.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Is there only one layer of shingles. The only reason I would think about removing shingles is weight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Timely thread, I'm also considering a do-it-yourself roof on my house. I've done a few sheds, barns and shops with 26 ga. galvalume on trusses.

But on the house I was considering just laying down 3/4 or 1" 4x8 sheets of insulation to help keep the upstairs a bit cooler, and screwing metal down.

All with out stripping the old shingles.

Good, just OK, or should I strip the old shingles, then insulation, and lathing and metal?

·
Registered
919 Posts
3/4" foam sheets would help out big time. I would definitely get rid of the old shingles. Most likely you will need to lay down new felt.

When me and my dad did the roof on our huntin cabin in GA. we just used 2" foam in between the 2x4 stringers. worked out great.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Talk about timely posts.

I live in Vermont, and my house has cedar shake shingles. When I put the new "steel" roof on next year, should I remove the shingles or just apply the metal over them.

And is there any other preparations (besides Prep. H) I should do before putting on the new roof?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not the voice of experience here on house roofs, but as mentioned above, I've done several metal barn type roofs.

You do need a flat surface for the metal, at a minimum I'd want to remove the shakes as required to fasten down lathing (2x4) so the metal would clear the shakes.

Good luck, RJR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts