The Diesel Stop banner

quick question

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ScottFraser2 
#1 ·
HI all! I'll make a long story real short, I made a HPO test guage today. Tested both both banks and only saw about 100 psi on the guage. I then deadheaded it, at first it would barely show 100 psi, so I figured it was the IPR or the HPOP causing my problems. Just for the heck of it, I decided to try it again and guess what? I started to get around 700 psi! So my question is: How much PSI should I see on the guage when deadheaded and the ICP unplugged?

Thanksh

#2 ·
725 with icp unplugged
500 with icp plugged in and ipr working
What are you reading with ICP plugged in

#3 ·
Thanks Jim, thats what I thought but wanted to make sure. I didn't even plug the ICP in tonight as I started getting sidetracked with my son, so I'll check it tomorrow and post the results.

#4 ·
Well it seem's I have some intermitten problems. I plugged the ICP back in and turneded the motor over, and theguage only registered about 100 psi. I then unplugged the ICP and tried it again and the guage was again only showing around a 100 psi. Can the IPR be intermitent? Also, I have noticed oil in the ICP so I guess that is on the list to purchase also.

#5 ·
I am not sure how you checkd HPOP but look at these instructions

To isolate the heads as a potential large leak: 1) Remove the line from the right head and cap with a suitable plug. 2) Remove the left-hand line and connect an oil pressure gauge capable of reading 3,000 psi or greater to it. 3) Crank the engine while watching the gauge for actual pressure. If the reading is low, the problem lies in the high-pressure pump or the IPR. But to determine which is the guilty culprit, you first need to replace the IPR to evaluate. If that doesn't correct it, the pump will need replacing.

#6 ·
Thanks jim, that is what I did. Checked both banks and neither side gave me more the 100 psi. I then isolated just the pump, at first i would only get about 100 psi, then I tried it later and got around 700 psi. (ICP Disconnected) Now I'm trying to do more testing but I'm not getting much pressure. What really sucks is the IPR is new. Ideas?

#7 ·
If you isolated the pump per my instructions with one hose plugged and the other hooked into guage then you should get over 500 and as much as 2000 the longer you crank. If you unplug the ICP and still not getting 725 than either the IPR is stuck/debris or pump is culprit

#10 ·
Yes there is. The 94 and 95 had the edge filter on the ipr, doubt you have any problem there though....

#9 ·
no but you could spray some WD40 in there to flush it good.
I had this problem with my 97 DRW and replaced the IPR o rings. then replaced the IPR still no good when guaged hooked up. Replaced HPOP and all better

#12 ·
To be completely honest with you i cant visually see why it would even make a difference. The edge filter is basically just a piece if mild steel pressed into the tip of the IPR, otherwise they are both identical. I'm in the same delima, except vise versa. My new IPR I got has the edge filter and It looks like it can be removed to make it exactly like the non-edge filter IPR. I'm going to try it as is anyways and see what it does because I've had this IPR around forever and I cant return it now. If I was still able to return it and get the correct one, I would.

#14 ·
Just another thought. It seems like they used the IPR with the edge filter from 1994.5 to 1995.5. I wonder If its possible they found it was a redundant feature and stopped putting it in to save in manufacturing costs? I wish I had both pumps in my hand to see if there are any internal differences of why or why not they'd use two different style IPR's.

#16 ·
the check ball is held in place by a #2 o-ring boss plug that has a pin built into that holds the ball in its place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.