1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm very interested in this as well, I've seen another fully airbag suspension set-up for 3/4-1 tons but I'd like more info on the Firestone.
$2,200 is a lot to drop on a ' hmmm i wonder if this works as advertised' project.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was looking at this too. anyone have any more info on this set up?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah the videos are pretty cool, I'd like to know if anyone had first hand knowledge dealing with it

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just ordered a kit for my 2011 Ford F450 - I selected the 2011 Ford F350 DRW with 2" blocks. After calling Firestone tech support I got little help - there is no market for the F450 so they don't touch it??? I explained that all of my research actually shows the rear of the 350 and 450 are the same now, less the internal gearing of the diff it appears identical. They didn't bite.

SO I'm taking the $2,000.00 gamble and with free shipping I can just return it and be out of pocket for that cost only.

I honestly don't think I'll have a problem but I won't know until I try.

I will say that I was very disappointed by the attitude of Firestone so I do not intend to provide them any insight (not that they need me) on if the kit fits or how a simple change would allow it to be adapted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just emailed them 2 weeks ago and was told they don't have a kit for the 2011's yet.. weird.
And you are correct, the rear ends on the F350 DRW and 450 are Dana 80's 4" round diameter, 350 SRW is a sterling 3 1/2" diameter (referring to the axle shaft housing).

Actually here is what I received back straight from the company that makes the suspension for firestone.

The R4 Tech system has a couple different features from our other ride rite products. With the R4 Tech you will have a smoother ride with or without a load. Our other products only gives you a smoother ride with a load, and without it rides like your stock vehicle. The R4 Tech also gives you the ability to kneel the rear end to get under trailers or whatever you are hauling, our other products do not. They are also compatible with in bed hitches, there is no special kit you have to get.

The kit comes with new leaf springs, air bags and different brackets to mount everything. Along with compressor, tank, and height control valves. I will attach a copy of one of the instruction manuals so you can have a look.

The 2011's are not available yet though. They will not be for another 2 or 3 months.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The 2011 catalog and application guides are posted on their site now. The breakdown of parts shows the braces, springs, etc., and a different master kit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I must be looking in the wrong area, when I go to search by vehicle it comes up with Fords from 1963-2010, I did not see any 2011 models.
I see the catalog marked 2011 Catalog but nothing that specifically says for 2011 Super Duty.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Application guide was too big so I attached the page that shows the 2011.

2011 F-350 (4x4) Long Bed, DRW, w/Dana 80 axle & 2" block
Master Kit W28-760-0060
Leaf Springs W4T-000-F02S
Links W4T-000-FL02
Differential Bracket W4T-000-FD21
Frame Eye Bracket W4T-000-FB05
Air Spring Kit W4T-000-1507
Air Control Kit W4T-000-1575
Load Adaptive Shocks WR1-760-4354
12/2010

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perfect, thanks Zixxer. I may have to look into getting this in the next month or so.
Have a buddy getting an R4 put on his Chevy so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a ride quality change there is.
So weird that Firestone would tell me the kits aren't even available for another 2-3 months yet the app sheet says Dec last year.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Three calls and several emails later to Firestone, I am amazed they sell any of these new kits. I swear not one individual was helpful nor attempted to work with me to see if we had a solution.

I would think if the kit works you have a gimmie. Granted the F450 is not sold in the numbers of the F350 but heck if it works, why not pursue it? There's almost no cost to them to test the setup and I was willing to do that for them...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Three calls and several emails later to Firestone, I am amazed they sell any of these new kits. I swear not one individual was helpful nor attempted to work with me to see if we had a solution.

I would think if the kit works you have a gimmie. Granted the F450 is not sold in the numbers of the F350 but heck if it works, why not pursue it? There's almost no cost to them to test the setup and I was willing to do that for them...
Becoming all too common, we sell xyz product, but the people on the other end have NO knowledge of the product and do not care to learn as was your experience. That is why this site is soooooo valuable!

·
Registered
274 Posts
NEW QUESTION -

Any suggestions for new front shocks?

I will be adding the 2" leveling spacer for the front springs. I want a high quality front shock and/or coil over setup that is setup for 2 additional inches. I prefer not to use the shock absorber brackets...the 2" extensions that come in the kit.

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well no replies on the previous question?

I have to give props to Tony Berlingieri from Sanluis Rassini. They are the designers, builders and suppliers of the R4Tech kits for Firestone. After a long process of getting nowhere with Firestone and my sales vendor (they really did try hard but Firestone did not), I found the manufactures information.

I cannot say enough about the customer service and support to determine the exact kit and parts I need for my F450. Tony and I have been exchanging photos and emails to ensure I get exactly what I need ordered for the perfect solution. There is currently no kit for the nonchassis cab F450 and I was going to use the F350 DRW kit which would have worked (maybe) however there are subtitle differences in braces, holes, etc. He is going completely through the process of making sure I get what I need. Just amazing to work with.

Bottom line for me is Tony has been a god send and amazing to work with. I am impressed by the level of customer service for just one guy. They clearly are not hurting for business as they are the supplier of all our factory leaf springs.

I will post the results and solutions for all once we get there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's an example of dealing with Tony:

Hi Rick

This just keeps getting better. So far with a combination of component boxes it looks like we can fit your truck.

Here's what I'll do next:

1) We'll verify that the current R4Tech leaf springs and air bags will handle the GVW loads of your vehicle. This will be done by pulling the print for your spring and checking the loads and rates against the F350 DRW R4Tech spring . We'll minus that number from your spring to see if we need a larger capacity air bag.

2) We'll digitally overlay the OEM frame CAD files from the 2011 F350 DRW over top of your frame to check that the frame measures the same.

3) We'll digitally overlay our R4Tech lower air bag mounts to the OEM CAD file of your Dana 80 rear axle to ensure the fit of the brackets to the axle tube and spring perch.

Just a few more things and I'll have an answer for you. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Tony

He thanked me for my patience :) Please, I'm floored that he's taking this time me and this guy is getting a holiday card and gift from me. Just awesome customer service. V/r Rick

·
Registered
274 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts