The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to get one from and what price should i expect to pay??

·
Registered
37 Posts
personally im concidering going to an electric fan on a switch free up some power so it dose not have as many accs to run off the belts then my motor can heat up a bit more in the winter and keep it cool in the summer

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did my fan clutch a few years back. I think it ran about $90 if I remember correctly. I got it mail order with the radiator.

I have read on here numerous times that electric fans do not work well with these trucks simply because they don't pull mover enough air.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Not to mention that moving a given volume of air v per minute takes x horsepower, regardless of whether the fan is driven mechanically or electrically.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Auto Parts store about $150.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I agree that it doesnt matter how you do it, electric or mechanical if you need 3 hp to move the right amount of air you need 3 hp to move that air either 3 hp off the crank or 3 off the batteries (through the alternator) its all the same. Something that I remember from school. Plus i dont need more HPs got enough for what Im doing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is a good place to get one... and I've heard that they are very knowledgeable on fan clutches.. MS Tech

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Thanks guys, I agree that it doesnt matter how you do it, electric or mechanical if you need 3 hp to move the right amount of air you need 3 hp to move that air either 3 hp off the crank or 3 off the batteries (through the alternator) its all the same. Something that I remember from school. Plus i dont need more HPs got enough for what Im doing.
3 hp = 2.23709961 kilowatts. 95A*12V=1140W peak (probably on a 65% duty cycle.) Typical fan draw is closer to 114 watts than 1140.

Just had to be pedantic...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts