The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 93 idi and the driver side radiator support is rotted out down where the bushing bolt goes through. The frame bracket is good as well as the bushing and bolt. I was thinking about cutting the rotted part out and welding in two plates at a 90 degree right angle. I don't weld or do much fabrication so excuse the terminology. Then I started thinking that arches are stronger than angles, so I was thinking instead of welding the corner, I would try to make a tight 90 degree bend or something. I was just wondering if anyone had ever performed a repair like this or had any suggestions other than replacing the entire support. Can I jack it up with out removing any other bolts to work in there? I loaded pics of it. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I'm not quite sure to understand how you want to fabricate the support and the picture are too small to see on my phone.

But if you have access to welder and grinder, its easy make a diy support. Between welding 2 piece together to make a 90* or bending a90* will mostly depend on the thickness of material you use and resource to bend the metal but welding will be strong enough if done right. Question, why not use a piece of angle bar????

And yes, cut all the rutted part before welding your new metal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It is possible to make weld in repairs. The decision is yours to make, since you're the one looking at it. How good are you at fabrication?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I completely tore my rad support down and rebuilt by welding. It took me a while.

I had to replace the frame mounts (both sides) and the verticle boxes of the support, plus sheet metal around the support. I kept what I could from the stock support, cut the rust, and replaced as necessary.

I used a miller XP130 mig welder and scrap from old house radiator covers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts