The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my truck in for service work before warranty goes off. One of my complaints since new has been the radio shuts off, just out of the blue for no reason, sometimes several times a day or it might go for a month or so and be fine and then shut off again. Recently I have also noticed that when exiting the truck radio was on and when I got back in it was off. Anyway dealer says there's a bulletin that says this is normal if listening to HD. I have to go back as some parts have come in so they can repair some other problems, I'm going to ask for a copy of said bulletin. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I work for a car manufacturer and the same is true for some of our models. If you select HD then it goes silent (not off) when it loses HD signal. Out other models auto select back to normal FM unless the channel for HD is not broadcast as regular FM. Is the station you listen to an HD only channel? HD radio technology is full of flaws that vehicle makers can't readily compensate for.

I'm using HD as equivalent to Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB).

Does the owner's manual not state to turn off HD function when signal is weak to avoid distortion and broadcast interruption?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I work for a car manufacturer and the same is true for some of our models. If you select HD then it goes silent (not off) when it loses HD signal. Out other models auto select back to normal FM unless the channel for HD is not broadcast as regular FM. Is the station you listen to an HD only channel? HD radio technology is full of flaws that vehicle makers can't readily compensate for.

I'm using HD as equivalent to Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB).

Does the owner's manual not state to turn off HD function when signal is weak to avoid distortion and broadcast interruption?

My radio turns off, I have to reach up and turn it back on, it even shows as though it is turned off. My radio continues to play the station it just indicates that it is not in HD. That's why I don't buy that I don't have a radio problem, I understand that if the station went fuzzy and I had to change stations, but it shuts the radio off? It will be interesting to read this bulletin to see if it is really pertaining to my issue.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Agree totally that the radio going power down does not strike me as normal. I can't believe that Ford would program it that way.

I would guess that they are not listening to you and think that "off" mans silent and not powered off.
I would wager that the bulletin is what I described about interference or possibly silence and not describing a power down.

I'm curious to see what your next visit shows.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have not had radio shut off while driving since I picked it up, but I only had it for a week before it went back in. In that week I never listened to HD and the radio did shut off once when I shut the truck off and returned. So I still think I have something else going on. Dealer also cannot figure out why the grid lines on rear camera won't work, they have replace rear camera and are dealing with Tech assist know.

·
Registered
321 Posts
VEHICLE TECH CENTER 1-800-392-4040

M-S 8:30 am 9:00 pm EST
S 8:30 am 9:00 pm EST
SUN 10:30 am 7:30 pm EST

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So op. Is yours just when it is on hd radio? Is there anyway to turn this off??

No, Second dealer tried to say that was the issue and I needed to turn HD off, This is not the issue, I'm not have a problem with picking up radio stations, my problem is the radio just shuts off. As if you reached up and push the power button and turned it off. As explained it will also shut off if I exit my truck and when I get back in the radio will not be on, when I know that when the truck was turned off and I exited it was on. Does this with radio in HD or just normal radio mode. Going on 36250 miles, they have had truck 6 times, 4 times a week at a time and 2 and 3 days at a time the other visits. Won't replace anything unless they duplicate the problem. Yes, you can turn HD off with the button on right side when you have the radio screen up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, Second dealer tried to say that was the issue and I needed to turn HD off, This is not the issue, I'm not have a problem with picking up radio stations, my problem is the radio just shuts off. As if you reached up and push the power button and turned it off. As explained it will also shut off if I exit my truck and when I get back in the radio will not be on, when I know that when the truck was turned off and I exited it was on. Does this with radio in HD or just normal radio mode. Going on 36250 miles, they have had truck 6 times, 4 times a week at a time and 2 and 3 days at a time the other visits. Won't replace anything unless they duplicate the problem. Yes, you can turn HD off with the button on right side when you have the radio screen up.

Have you unhooked your battery for 10 mins? I was told to do this by my service guy over phone. I am taking it in either way. I said well guess what it's not going to do it while your in the vehicle... So it is pointless for me to bring it in.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you unhooked your battery for 10 mins? I was told to do this by my service guy over phone. I am taking it in either way. I said well guess what it's not going to do it while your in the vehicle... So it is pointless for me to bring it in.....

Dealer has rebooted, reprogrammed, revamped you name it. It just keeps shutting off. I picked it up last Thursday and my radio has shut off 2 times since then and shut off 1 time when I shut the truck down and then returned and restarted it. But at any time it might go for a month or more and never miss a beat. They say there are several components to the radio and they have to duplicate it to see which component is shutting off. I would like to know how they are going to figure that out when you just have to push the on - off button and it comes back on. Thiers never any codes or other indicators that this is even happening according to them when they check it out? I'm just waiting for it to quit altogether and then they tell me they want me to pay for it. They haven't been to great about taking care of other miner repairs and know I'm out of warranty. If it sounds like I'm venting, sorry I have several small items that Ford just dismisses and doesn't seem to care that there quality is sucking. I had a 99, with 309000 on it and some of the things going on with this 2015 I never had problems with on it. They just don't want to fix anything, got your money and run. This is coming from a Ford man all my life. Hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer has rebooted, reprogrammed, revamped you name it. It just keeps shutting off. I picked it up last Thursday and my radio has shut off 2 times since then and shut off 1 time when I shut the truck down and then returned and restarted it. But at any time it might go for a month or more and never miss a beat. They say there are several components to the radio and they have to duplicate it to see which component is shutting off. I would like to know how they are going to figure that out when you just have to push the on - off button and it comes back on. Thiers never any codes or other indicators that this is even happening according to them when they check it out? I'm just waiting for it to quit altogether and then they tell me they want me to pay for it. They haven't been to great about taking care of other miner repairs and know I'm out of warranty. If it sounds like I'm venting, sorry I have several small items that Ford just dismisses and doesn't seem to care that there quality is sucking. I had a 99, with 309000 on it and some of the things going on with this 2015 I never had problems with on it. They just don't want to fix anything, got your money and run. This is coming from a Ford man all my life. Hope you have better luck!

So they haven't replaced any parts? Wth

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, did you have any luck with your truck on the last dealer visit?

I was suppose to take it this coming week. But had to cancel. I did happen to get a video of another issue. On fm. The part where it displays the station went blank. Talking big letter numbers not the 6 pre sets.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I had mine in for a totally unrelated issue and the SIRIUS has shut off 2x since getting it back. My issue with the truck has to do with a leak of transfer case fluid, no logical reason that they would be at the electrical. Mine goes completely off to where you have to press the power button. I am going to check all of the fuses prior to going deeper on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had mine in for a totally unrelated issue and the SIRIUS has shut off 2x since getting it back. My issue with the truck has to do with a leak of transfer case fluid, no logical reason that they would be at the electrical. Mine goes completely off to where you have to press the power button. I am going to check all of the fuses prior to going deeper on it.

The radio was my "main" issue. The video was something that happen Saturday for the first time that I caught it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

My guess this is same issue, mine just happens when on FM since that's what I listen to the most. Since it has been brought up about the station numbers going missing and then coming back, mine has done that twice that I have noticed in the last week. Tried to get a picture but it was back on before I got phone camera up. Just never noticed it before until it was mentioned, know I'm watching for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts