The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally purchased our new travel trailer, a 2020 Arctic Wolf 3660SUITE. Weighs in 12,330 pounds with a GCWR of 21,740 pounds and pulls great. Front axle weight is same empty and loaded, but the rear has quite some sag to it. Truck does need shocks, quite apparent when going over woopity doos, lots of bounce. I eventually want to get the sag out, so which would do a better job, RAS, or air bags. I would prefer RAS if it will do the job since bags require compressed air, and driving with the truck empty after towing would make for a not so subtle ride, and would need to be aired down, but then the return trip would need the air compressor.

Truck handles great up to 80 MPH towing, what a Frigging beast it is.

·
Registered
811 Posts
First, why are you going 80 mph towing a trailer? Yikes! Second, I don't have much experience with the RAS, but if you get airbags, get a wireless air compressor, and your problem will be solved. The ability to add air to the bags or let air out while on the road is awesome. I had this setup on my previous two trucks, and love the ability to adjust the bags based on road conditions. Driving on the concrete highways all around Houston I would add air to stiffen up the ride, then when I got out on the paved Interstate, I could let some air out and smooth the ride. When the trailer is not hooked up, set the bags to 5 psi, and all was well.

I'm glad my current truck does not need the airbags. But if it does later as the suspension gets a bit older, I would have the same setup again.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes when you gotta pass, you gotta pass, for the most part though had the cruise set at 70, and yes the trailer tires are rated for 85MPH. Trying to keep costs down, hence don't wish to spend money on something rarely used, rather spend it on things that will get used all the time, like a larger fuel tank, fuel filter from Dieselsite, rust repair and repaint.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I went with the bags. It helps take the bounce out of the truck when unloaded. I wouldn't have a Super duty with out them. It's not a waste of money to get them. I didn't have the compresser at first but found out real quick I needed it.
I do however wish my truck had a bigger fuel tank but I can go about 300 miles per fill up. And fuel here is $3.02 a gallon. Its just nuts here.
Get the air bags and you can thank us later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts