The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the truck and no go. Found a rats nest behind the fuel filter bowl in that valley. They chewed off the wiring that goes to the back of the fuel bowl. Can't see any wires coming out anymore but can see the bundle they came from. I'm going to try to put in pics.
If i can find the plastic piece that plugs into the fuel bowl can i splice the wires back together? Do all of those wires go to that plastic plug or will i need to hunt some more?
Light Automotive tire Toy Eyelash Hood
Automotive tire Safety glove Gas Glove Hose
Light Automotive tire Toy Eyelash Hood

Automotive tire Safety glove Gas Glove Hose

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
I believe that's the fuel heater/water-in-fuel sensor connector. Probably the wires got shorted together and blew the fuse that powers the PCM. Does the WTS light come on when you turn the key? You can get a pigtail (connector with wires) from Ford (or a wrecking yard) and splice that in. It'll be either WPT-1116, WPT-1231, or WPT-1243. Once you pull it off, check HERE to confirm which one. Once it's fixed, replace the fuse
Can't tell from your pic if that's the only wires that got chewed off, but you'll need to check closely. Report back if you find more and we can help you figure it out.
If you tell us what year your truck is, we can find the wire colors for you that need to be connected.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
My experience with rodents was similar. Rodents seldom make one travel way to their nest. They like to clear out several routes. Don't be surprised if you have more wire damage that's hard to see. Like the OP I struggled through the splicing process. Now, in the fall when they start moving about I spray Co concentrated peppermint oil around under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already found more trying to see how that plastic thing comes out! I have had good luck using rattlesnake skins! Had one in this engine compartment for years and no problems. Took it out for some reason a couple months ago. 2 back in there now!

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
There should be a latch of some sort on that connector. Either push the latch or pry it up and pull the connector off. Yes, the replacement has lengths of wire, along with crimp connectors and heat shrink sleeves.
You could probably get one online at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could not believe my good fortune on discovering similar nesting materials in the valley just last week -- but no chewed wires. Going to apply hot pepper dust, something, maybe that peppermint oil from a few posts back. The potential for serious damage is a lot higher than I'd realized. (Thanks for making it real, commiserate on the destruction.)

(1st post, etc.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've found nests before but never had any damage. Truck sat for a
month this time. Finally got it all back together. Found more wires
damaged once things were removed. Bastards. If any of them are still
in there they are getting a treat today. 20 miles of horrible dirt
road!

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I just built 3 5 gallon pail Mouse traps with the wheel of death installed on them. Have a dead Mouse in my car. Got to be proactive killing them.
We did this at a hunting cabin and left for a couple days. When we got back the live mice could almost make a raft out of their dead buddies to stay out of the water.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,586 Posts
This spring was the first time that, after all these years, my '99 F250 PSD had a squirrel infestation in the engine compartment. I'm having very good success using a product called "Bonide Hot Pepper Wax Animal Repellant" to stop this. It's just a spray that I coat all the wiring with and I've seen no more evidence of rodent activity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will try anything at this point! Put out the poison and something is eating it. Moved the truck to a more sheltered location because there is a hurricane approaching. Hood down last night and they started another nest. Went for a water crossing ride this morning. I've read about Honda rodent tape but it's stupid expensive. Will look at the spray! Takes a long time for anything to get down here to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts