The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving this morning in my way home from work when I floored it to pass a chevy (LOL) anycase as the truck down shifted and my RPMs hit 2500 ish I started to get a noise. Hard to describe but almost metal sounding. Definitely had a rhythm to it almost like an exhaust leak (using that as an example) comes and goes away with the acceleration. Truck doesn't seem to be at a loss of power at all.
This is a 2000 F350 7.3 Automatic with 270000 miles. It dies have a chip, air cleaner, and exhaust.
Any idea where to begin looking. Truck has to be under load to get the sound.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son said post the link to youtube and then copy and paste to the forum... 🤯

I was able to record the truck making the noise.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I couldn’t see your temperature gauge. Was the engine at full operating temp or was it still cold?
What is the outside temperature?
Does it make the sound every time?
Have you recently had any work performed?

·
Super Moderator
25,074 Posts
I couldn't really hear your video well.
What CPS do you have in it? I had a Borg Warner CPS that needed the windshield wiper wiring chokes to even run when the wipers were on. It would make the engine rattle (kind of like a spark knock) at heavy acceleration. I got rid of it because I wasn't comfortable with the noise. This was with my 80E tune from DP. With the grey Ford CPS, it's fine.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Kevin,
Thats a good thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what CPS is in it. Will definitely take a look. Hell, might as well replace it anyways.

The thing that gets me is that I do not hear it until a really get after the skinny pedal. Never did it before. So it's a very new noise.

The truck seems fine other then that. I am running a DP tuner also at 80. The noise happens on the tuned settings and stock setting

Andrew

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ford has a Breakout box but you could make a custom valve cover injector harness to disable the injectors 1 by 1. Will be time consuming but not really any other easy way.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I heard something like this before. It was the turbo bolts coming loose. Try and grip the turbo and move it side to side, then the housing, then the outlet fitting to the band clamp. Then check the up-pipes and see if one is loose. well worth a look. Do you have the stock up-Pipes?. If you have the old black cps on your truck keep it in, don't swap it if your truck runs great besides the small rattle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard something like this before. It was the turbo bolts coming loose. Try and grip the turbo and move it side to side, then the housing, then the outlet fitting to the band clamp. Then check the up-pipes and see if one is loose. well worth a look. Do you have the stock up-Pipes?. If you have the old black cps on your truck keep it in, don't swap it if your truck runs great besides the small rattle.
I just read that maybe 5 minutes ago. Definitely gonna see ot its something simple. The up pipes are stock. Probably should change them just because. Possibly could be the noise since it only happens at higher RPMs. Totally forgot to look at the CPS this weekend. Just started my work week. Will look when I get home tomorrow about 3am

Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cannot tell if the exhaust has moved and the clamp seemed snug. However the exhaust has some wiggle down where it makes the bend to the back of the truck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts