The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many similar questions have been posted on this forum, but noting definitive. I currently have the Edge CTS and am satisfied with it, especially the gauge package. However, after my breakdown in New Mexico with the DPF clogged, I'll be deleting everything from the turbo back when the warranty is over; 2 years. I have a buyer for my CTS and want to buy a programmer now, either the Spartan or H&S, with the dpf and egr delete option before there are any more restrictions. Will someone that has one of these offer some guidance? If your were buying right now, which would you buy?

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got a buyer for my Edge CTS and will be shipping it out tomorrow or Tuesday. I need to order the H&S or Spartan; would really appreciate some advice on them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Spartan and it's okay. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with the H&S. I've heard the tuning is better with the H&S and you can get some more options/tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks wrap; can you list anything specific that leans you toward the H&S?

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean other than the additional tunes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you research both tuners you'll find some people complaining about shift strategies on each tuner. From my experience with the Spartan shifting at times can be really rough. I've heard a few people complain about H&S having similar issues but that can be changed with some different tuning of the transmission.

Now what I learned from my diesel mechanic was that he's had a few problems out of the Spartan and that is why he switched to H&S. First Spartan changed how they do their tuning of the trucks, then after doing mine we were fighting codes for nearly a year. Mostly small codes but still, with everything installed right that shouldn't have been a problem. Then the next 3 trucks after mine that he did, either ate up transmissions or turbos, although I will say I cannot vouch for how those folks drive their trucks. I will say I baby mine around and have backed the tuning way off just because I don't need that extra power although it is VERY fun to play around with. But since he switched over to H&S he hasn't had any more issues like that.

I'm not saying that Spartan is a bad product by any means but IMO there are better options out there. Mine has been fine even with all the code trouble. It is still the best thing I've ever done for my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, wrap. That was very informative.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the good information that i received here, and e-mails from a couple of distributors, I ordered the H&S MiniMaxx 109003 this morning. I got it through Amazon from moredieselhp for $1521 delivered and it will be here Thursday. I won't be doing any deletes until the truck warranty is out but at least I'll have it available at that time. I believe by that time, the EPA will have banned all tuners that have a delete capability. Thank's to all for the information.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The H&S is a great tuner! I had one on my 12 and I am now trading it in for a 16. I wish the H&S worked on the 16 but it doesn't so I will probably end up selling it.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't receive mine until tomorrow but I'm starting to get a little concerned. I've reviewed the on line manuals, and nothing is listed about monitoring the DPF or regeneration. There's no indication that a regeneration is occurring or when it stops. Are indicators available and I'm just not seeing them yet, or are none available in the unit? If they're not available, for those who have not deleted, how do you monitor the DPF/regen?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Correct, there is no way to monitor the DPF or regen. They did not include the PIDs for those in the Mini maxx.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this possible?

I'm not doing a delete until August, 2017. Until then, is it possible to program a tune with the Mini into my truck, then disconnect the Mini from the OBD, and then plug in the Edge CTS in order to monitor DPF activities?

·
Registered
41 Posts
No you cannot do that. The mini maxx needs to be plugged in all the time or it will revert the tune to stock.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, mad; I also just learned that on another forum. I guess that I'll install the Mini just to check everything and make sure the 'delete' program is operational. Then, I'll uninstall and plug the CTS back in so that I can monitor DPF status. I don't want a repeat of last month's breakdowns.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPS just delivered my H&S Mini Maxx. I definitely see why they call it 'MINI' Maxx; it is really small, less than half the size of the Edge CTS. Monitoring gauges is going to be a challange.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I woke up this morning with doubts of my abilities to complete this job. Dropping the DPF assembly and replacing it with a d/pipe back exhaust would not have been a problem. But now, with EGR delete and egt probe relocation and installation, I'm over taxing my abilities. I've set up the return of the exhaust system and the egr delete kit. I'm considering keeping the MiniMaxx for possible future use, but have not fully decided at this time. I want to thank everyone for all the advice and assistance that I received on this thread as well as the thread "EGR and D/pipe back delete".

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi wrap. Well, I'm kinda taking this as a sign. I did a lot of research, but never knew that so many things were involved in a dpf delete. With everything that kept popping up, I felt that something was trying to tell me something. So, I'm going to wait a while; maybe do it later. I appreciate the assistance that you gave me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Why didn't you just wait until the warranty was up to buy a tuner if you're not going to delete until 2017? You would have more time to decide what you want and by 2017 there may be more options available.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few posts back, I stated that I don't believe any 'delete' tuners will be available in 2017 due to EPA restrictions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts