The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1995 F350 7.3 extended cab long bed. Truck has run well for years. Have done several upgrades and maintenance including: New (rebuilt) transmission, new splitfire injectors and chip, valve cover harness, new radiator, aftermarket turbo wheel, replaced ICP, IPR, mechanical pump, hoses, oil cooler, glow plugs, batteries, battery cables, CPS, and more.
Truck has been running well until 1.5 months ago, when it had a check engine light come on, and wanted to die randomly, but repeatably at idle and when taking off.

Getting code (P1211) still, and it threw an ICP code, but it was unplugged, so....

The main symptom currently is that: If you accelerate hard, the check engine light comes on and the truck goes into a "limp" mode, and is gutless. It seems to be worse after the truck is warmed up. No codes to speak of coming from my Autel diagnostic tool.

Things we have done to attempt to repair: Change oil and filters, change fuel filters, Change IPR and ICP, verified oil pressure is good, but found one side at about 530psi vs the other side at 740psi (driver side vs. passenger side) so thought possible o-rings on injectors might be damaged. Replace injector o-rings...found some damaged ones on side with lower pressure, BUT this didn't fix the symptom. We seem to have good oil pressure, good fuel flow and air flow, but something is still kicking into limp mode under hard acceleration, or if we drive it for 15 minutes or so, it will go into limp mode and check engine light comes on even without hard acceleration.

We are thinking...we have good oil pressure, and good fuel flow, what components are involved with causing the "limp" mode? What other conditions need to be met for this to occur?
Can this issue come from the IDI or the chip for the injectors?

I'm sure I have left lots of details out, but this is the core of our problem. Not really sure where to go from here.

Anyone experience this, or have solid ideas on what else we can look at? This is a real head scratcher...

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,745 Posts
No codes to speak of coming from my Autel diagnostic tool.
What does that mean? Are there codes or not? If there are codes, what are they?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a 1995 F350 7.3 extended cab long bed. Truck has run well for years. Have done several upgrades and maintenance including: New (rebuilt) transmission, new splitfire injectors and chip, valve cover harness, new radiator, aftermarket turbo wheel, replaced ICP, IPR, mechanical pump, hoses, oil cooler, glow plugs, batteries, battery cables, CPS, and more.
Truck has been running well until 1.5 months ago, when it had a check engine light come on, and wanted to die randomly, but repeatably at idle and when taking off.

Getting code (P1211) still, and it threw an ICP code, but it was unplugged, so....

The main symptom currently is that: If you accelerate hard, the check engine light comes on and the truck goes into a "limp" mode, and is gutless. It seems to be worse after the truck is warmed up. No codes to speak of coming from my Autel diagnostic tool.

Things we have done to attempt to repair: Change oil and filters, change fuel filters, Change IPR and ICP, verified oil pressure is good, but found one side at about 530psi vs the other side at 740psi (driver side vs. passenger side) so thought possible o-rings on injectors might be damaged. Replace injector o-rings...found some damaged ones on side with lower pressure, BUT this didn't fix the symptom. We seem to have good oil pressure, good fuel flow and air flow, but something is still kicking into limp mode under hard acceleration, or if we drive it for 15 minutes or so, it will go into limp mode and check engine light comes on even without hard acceleration.

We are thinking...we have good oil pressure, and good fuel flow, what components are involved with causing the "limp" mode? What other conditions need to be met for this to occur?
Can this issue come from the IDI or the chip for the injectors?

I'm sure I have left lots of details out, but this is the core of our problem. Not really sure where to go from here.

Anyone experience this, or have solid ideas on what else we can look at? This is a real head scratcher...

Thanks in advance.
Getting code (P1211) still, and it threw an ICP code,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting code (P1211) still, and it threw an ICP code,

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Was the truck running good on splitshots before this started? Is the chip programmed for splithots? Usually I would recommend physically removing the chip to see if the problem goes away, but the fact that you would running splits on non-split programming might complicate things. Still, you may want to inspect the chip connection and reinstall it. It would be helpful to know what the IPR% is doing during cranking, etc. Maybe the attached could be helpful (assuming you haven't seen it already). Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chip is matched with and came with the splitfires, and have been running them for well over a year now. When we would hard accelerate, I could see the 54% at the IPR, and then it would go into limp mode after staying at that % for about 3 seconds, all while hard accelerating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, truck was never run with splitshots and a non-splitshot chip. The chip and injectors were purchased as a set.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Splits do use a lot more oil that singles and with the IPR% maxed out, its possible your HPOP might be getting weak (discounting any other possible leak sources). Here's the pinpoint tests for P1211. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Splits do use a lot more oil that singles and with the IPR% maxed out, its possible your HPOP might be getting weak (discounting any other possible leak sources). Here's the pinpoint tests for P1211. Cheers!
Thanks Patrick. HPOP pressure is measuring "good" with live data, staying around 650psi at idle, and going up to about 2000psi under load. Also, seems to run well until it warms up, driving about 5 miles, then check engine light comes on, and will not idle - dies. Once I turn the engine off, then restart it, the check engine light is not on any more, and I can drive a mile or two before it does it again. Maybe the HPOP builds presure and starts leaking? Since it appears to be temperature related, do you think it would be more likely related to the PCM? I still get the code P1211. I've never had that code until I installed the chip and splitshot injectors. For a year, it was very rare that I would have this happen...only under a heavy foot, and maybe 4-5 time over a 1.5 year span. But, now it is reproducible every time I drive the truck in about 4-5 miles...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help!!!
Changed out the PCM, no effect. Changed out the ICP, no effect...
The HPOP gets up to 2400 easily during hard acceleration, and the IPR % goes up to 54%. Then it goes into limp mode. We set the chip to High Idle or it will die when we come to a stop and the truck tries to go to normal idle.
The only things left that we have not eliminated are the injectors, the chip, and the HPOP. But the HPOP seems to generate plenty of pressure according to the readings on Autel, and Torque app.

Anyone ever have problems with the splitshots and/or chip. Chip is a TS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please look at the values for my HPOP and my ICP and let me know if anyone thinks my HPOP could be the problem. I held the brake and increased the gas until the check engine light came on. You can see the IPR at 54% for a while and the HPOP was only around 1800PSI.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, I'm disappointed at the lack of help here...I did end up replacing the HPOP as I could see the pressure rise and fall, like it would build pressure to a point, then fail, then build again and fail again. It did better when the engine was cold because the oil was more viscus before warming up. Anyway, new pump is in and cranked for about 10 seconds before the batteries were low. Still need to verify the fix, but pretty sure it was the pump. Will close this thread out once I verify the truck is actually fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts