The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 04 F250 4x4 5.4 backing plate rusted out. I bought all FORD/MOTORCRAFT parts to replace everything. So I installed seal #BRS193 which stated it is for my truck. Well tere os no way that seal fits over the spindle. It is totally different for the one that was on.It looks like it was replace before. The old seal is flexble rubber abd te new one is like hard plastic and metal. What am I doing wrong. Watching several videos they just push the hub on with alittle pressure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
It should slide over the spindle perfectly. It is not uncommon for the old seal to separate leaving a portion fused to the spindle. Take a picture of the spindle at the inner aspect. If the old seal left that behind, you'll need to remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should slide over the spindle perfectly. It is not uncommon for the old seal to separate leaving a portion fused to the spindle. Take a picture of the spindle at the inner aspect. If the old seal left that behind, you'll need to remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will get a photo of it but I know nothing was letf behind.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
In addition to what RT stated. a lot of times rust begins creeping in along the inner seal on the spindle. If not properly sanded down, the new unitized seal will not will not slide onto the spindle as far as it needs to and cause the seal to bind internally. How would you know? Having to draw the hub on the final bit by tightening the bearing nut and once the bearings are seated you will find the hub difficult if not impossible to rotate by hand.

BTW you can clearly see in your second picture of your old seals one of them is clearly the inner part of the unitized seal. Did you pull that apart or is it still stuck on the spindle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the great advice. RT was correct that part of the old seal was still there and fused to the spindle. I needed a gear puller to get it off and cleaned up, now it is all back together. I love these prums with all the help and info provided. When frustrated a clear head heps so much. If not for you guys I would still be going crazy. Thank you again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts