The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of axle seals that blow instantly as soon as they are replaced. One of the questions I've ran into is do you grease the bearings or is it a "wet" system that lubes itself from the dif fluid. I've been told by most people you pack the bearings. Is that correct?
Thanks,
HideOut

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Yes, you do pack them with ford spec moly grease. You then squirt in about an ounce of diff fluid install outer bearing. Have pan under hub to catch what runs out. The system will then use oil to lube as well. Don't forget to reinstall oil slinger on inner hub bearing before installing seal.
The spindle's sealing surface must not have grooves cut on them. Make sure vent system from nipple to Y fitting are free and clear. Bearings to be torqued to 60lbs and back off 7 clucks for old bearings 5 for new. Inspect bearings for signs of heating and wear. A worn bearing will have what looks like a pinpoint on bottom end of rollers rather than a centered dimple. Inspect parking brake components. All of this stuff can really heat things up.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts