The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from several people that the rear brakes on the F-350's and possibly other years, may have an inherent flaw in the calipers making them not fully release. Someone may have the official line on this, if so please share what you know.

My 2014 F-350 DRW 30k miles, has this problem intermittently, one side or the other rear brakes don't fully release and they get so hot they smoke and cause a vibration while driving at highway speed. I have taken it to Les Schwab on several occasions to be inspected and they can find nothing obviously wrong. Several People that work there and drive the basic same truck inform me that they have all replaced their rear caliphers multiple times, one guy has replaced his 4 times in 60K miles.
My conversations with ford service is painfully typical, "we have never had any problems, no one has EVER reported this problem before".
Just their way of telling you your full of sh it, regardless of the problem, they don't want to own it, much like the flat spot on the throttle response at times that they swear isn't happening.

If anyone has any information on this subject I would greatly appreciate anything you might suggest.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My 2011 would have pistons freeze up. It's the type of driving we do. The 11 had 2 piston calipers per and one would freeze up creating smoke,cracked pads. Also the Stainless Steel pins/springs would stick in the groove from dirt corrision etc. creating damage. This happened on m 08 350 as well. Both started at 22k then 40k then 80 k ...I trailer and stop and go so the brakes get hot also I wonder about the salted roads I live on in winter.
Ford changed or upgraded brakes on our trucks but I'm not sure when...I am hoping I don't have this happen with the 2016.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reply and feel your pain, it seems I'm not the only one having this problem, having talked to dozens of people recently experiencing the same thing. Your description of the reoccurring problem based on miles driven is VERY accurate from what I'm hearing from others. Here's what I've done to cure my brake problem based on advise I've received...also, you suggested that Ford has done something to upgrade the brakes and fix this problem...if you check the part numbers for the rear calipers from 2011 to 2016 the part numbers are the same, so if they changed something I don't know what it could be...

The first thing goes without saying, I replaced both rotors and calipers. The second this is, everyone suggested that I flush the dot 3 and replace with dot 4, higher temp and resists the heat generated that is causing the brake fluid to boil in the rear caliper, which, for several reasons, is causing the pistons to not release.

All of the people that offered this cure swear that it has solved their brake problem and that the mandatory caliper replacement every 20 or 30 thousand miles has been eliminated.

Again, thanks for the reply and I hope you resolve your issues as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts