The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new cover for the rear diff. Been looking at a lot of different ones. Seems the oem for the 2008, 8C3Z-4033-A , has gone up in price since Ford figured out how many were getting a great deal at $35-$50. Now they are over $125 and a lot more. How about the Dorman 697-725 for the 2008? They run about $45. No drain or fill. Just a cover. The other that looks good, but is spendy, is the BD Diesel. The Trick Flow is reasonable but has the carrier main cap supports. I could put plugs in those holes. The Trick Flow and BD come with fill and drain plugs, BD has o-ring and TF has gasket.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Find a stock one or Dorman copy. Go to U-tube and do a search on Banks and rear diff, great info.
DENNY

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find a stock one or Dorman copy. Go to U-tube and do a search on Banks and rear diff, great info.
DENNY
Thanks Denny

I have watched all of the Banks info on the "open" covers, just big open shells. Banks shows a lot of great stuff. They have one coming out for the Ford Sterling, later this summer. Only issue, cost, said they run about $399!!!!!!!

Thinking for the cost, the Dorman copy would work just fine. May use a LubeLocker gasket.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I always just use black RTV and let it set a day before I add fluid. Junkyard may have one for a good price, a wire brush and rattle can will make it look pretty.
DENNY

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!! I have read that many use the Permatex Ultra Black. Whatever I use, definitely make sure it is oil and grease free before gasketing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts