The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and all I could find where old posts on this subject. We run our 16' flatbed, pulling a trailer and skidsteer, between Texas and North Dakota. I want to put new fluid in the rear end. What is the best fluid to use? I assume I want to use a friction modifier even if I am using synthetic.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Use Royal Purple from O'reilly's

It's synthetic, & has friction modifier already in it..

3 1/2 qts @ $20/qt. [completely drained]

·
Registered
382 Posts
I used this in my 01
AMSOIL- SVOQT 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube
You'll also need one of these, Diff gasket Fel-Pro RDS 55394

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Fellas, I recommend put the 2bottles of Motorcraft friction modifier in. Smaller differentials call for one bottle. Oil co. is going to use that additive ratio when making their LS oil. I see how not using it here in trucks on a hard turn onto a new road or driveway that is steep, those clutches will grab and release grab and release. Put the two bottles in and they work again.
Ford calls for (2) 4 oz. bottles and those have been my observations, as well as in my truck.

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
Crabo is driving an F450. That has a Dana 135 axle which requires 80W90 oil as opposed to our single rear wheel Sterling axles that use the 75W140. Dump as much friction modifier in as you want. Your clutches are long since gone so it doesn't matter much anyway.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My apologies crabo, I didnt mean to mislead you. Totally missed the F450

1 - 7 of 7 Posts