The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering 2010 SD V10 3500 DRW Crew Cab pickup. Problem is I want it with 4:30 gears for towing, yet $;30's are only available in Chassis Cab not pickup. Why??? and can it be special ordered with the 4:30's somehow?? The F350 Pickup only lists 4:10 as optional yet the F350 chassis cab is available with the V10 and 4:30 ratio. HELP Please with this question.

· Registered
512 Posts
Seriously considering 2010 SD V10 3500 DRW Crew Cab pickup. Problem is I want it with 4:30 gears for towing, yet $;30's are only available in Chassis Cab not pickup. Why??? and can it be special ordered with the 4:30's somehow?? The F350 Pickup only lists 4:10 as optional yet the F350 chassis cab is available with the V10 and 4:30 ratio. HELP Please with this question.

yet another stupid silly restriction from ford, all the parts pieces are there, but they won't let you have it. if you really think you need the 4.30 gears (my guess is you don't unless you are really towing heavy) then put them in yourself. you SHOULD be able to find a driveline place to do your front and rear for about 800/1000. may seem like alot, but IMO spending 500 to 5000 for chips and exhaust and what ever other race car stuff to put on truck is way more of a waste of money.

· Banned
116 Posts
You may be able to get them. Not sure where you are seeing the restriction, but if your getting it from the Ford Build and Price web site, it is LOADED with errors as it is every year. Ask a dealer if it is available before giving up. I'm just guessing here, but you may be surprised...

PS The 4:30's are the best choice for the V10. Good decision on your part.

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
For at least the last 11 years, the rear axle ratio in Superduty pickups has been very limited. For SRW pickups with diesel engine, only one was available for '99 thru '07 models.

2010 SD V10 3500 DRW Crew Cab pickup. Problem is I want it with 4:30 gears for towing, yet $;30's are only available in Chassis Cab not pickup.
The order guide is clear. The V10 automagic dually pickup gets a 4.10 rear axle ratio. No options. End of discussion.

The SRW pickups with V10 have 4.10 std and 4.30 optional. The F-450 pickup has 4.30 standard.

My experience with Ford rear axle ratios is that they do a really good job of matching the axle ratio with the power and torque of the engine. For mine, the 3.73 is just about perfect as long as I use stock-size tires and stay within Ford's weight limits for my loads.

Back when the V10 had less power, 4.30 was available for DRW pickups. But with the power and torque produced by the 2010 V10, 4.10 is good enough unless your goal is to overload the tow vehicle.

· Banned
116 Posts
Actually the 4:30's are still the best for the 10 as it is a high revving engine for it's size. Most everyone I speak with who is a 10 owner agree's which is why I have them. Ideal for towing. Funny they allow them with srw and not drw. What could the difference possibly be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts