The Diesel Stop banner

rear main seal???

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mrvmax1 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1997 f350 powerstroke 5 spd. its leaking oil from the rear of the engine looks like a rear main seal is there anything else back there that could be leaking other than the oil pan?

#2 ·
yeap, the rear main seal is rare that fails. so you better look if its a leak from the valley of "death", it could looks like oil leak but in fact can be fuel, and if it is, the most common cause is the fuel pump leaking.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

#3 ·
i thought it was fuel to but it is definently oil and the truck only has 112,000 easy miles thats why i dont think its the rear main either, just not sure what else it could be.

#4 ·
On the back of the heads are high pressure oil rail plugs that could be leaking. Also, check the clutch inspection cover is not rubbing the oil pan. Mine did, as many have, the fix is to remove the cover and trim the offending portion then repair the hole in the oil pan it created. I used JBW.

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a 1997 f350 powerstroke 5 spd. its leaking oil from the rear of the engine looks like a rear main seal is there anything else back there that could be leaking other than the oil pan?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the only way to tell. Start with teh valley and use simple green or some other degreaser and wash all the crud off. Now get under the truck and wash it all from the underside. When you have no oil leaks, driv eit some and check again. Oil leaks from top will run down and drain by the oil pan and look like rear main. I had to fix a couple leaks up top before I could pinpoint mine. My rear main is leaking at 119k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.