The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for a write up on rear suspension leaf spring replacement, just want an overview for safety, best way to lift, and ideas to make it easier! I received my 1(6) 4400lbs springs and shocks for rear today and want to get started in the morning!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Pressure-wash as much as you can get a day or 2 before you start (probably too late for that now); hit all the fasteners with penetrating oil a few times before you start; chock all 4 tires fore & aft; jack by the lowest-drop draw bar you have, using blocks to get the fully-compressed jack as tight as you can before lifting; put a 4t (or stronger) jack stand under EACH frame rail forward of the leaf springs; try to get the truck so there's nearly 0 load on the spring (chassis weight on the jack stands; axle weight on the tires); set the e-brake so the axle can't spin; have new U-bolts, threadlocker, & all the torque specs handy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve83 I got started on it last weekend but had one bolt on rear shackle which was a show stopper. I ended up cutting on the bolt with a sawzall (not able to get a cutting wheel to tight) but still not able to remove it. Yesterday I bought a cutting torch to get the last of the bolt removed and it took about 20 seconds an she dropped right out. As far as the torque specs I do not have yet. anybody have that info handy?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
There are more than one torque spec. This is for older trucks:

Look at the Right side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts