The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day it was 98 degrees and way way humid. The radio said the heat index was 107. I am in the shop doing bench work with an air mover blowing on me. Over top of Chris Stapleton on the radio, I hear a loud bang. I go outside and look around. I don’t see anything. Gun shots are not uncommon but it didn’t quite have a gun sound. I go back to the bench, dismissing it. Heat wave breaks last night. This morning I’m in my chair in the shop. I’m enjoying the 80 degrees. I’m looking at the blue sky and pretty green trees swaying in the breeze. I’m thinking, this is nice. The back window of a truck outside of the shop. It has a bazillion shatter line. I think, that is NOT nice. I walk out to it. Sure enough, a bazillion cracks. It also is bowed outward.
How the frick did that happen? The cab has two vent flaps to let air pressure out.
I have NEVER seen this happen in my life.
Have any of you?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

·
Registered
746 Posts
I live where it gets over 110 regularly, and I have a black truck. I've never had, nor seen a window blow out due to temps. however these are tempered glass, and while very strong, a small rock or screw under the rubber seal can cause a high stress spot that breaks the tension in the glass.

If it was vandalism, you might see a localized damage point. I'd be interested in good overall photos of the window.

8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just pulled into the grocery store parking lot so I am no longer there.
I was in the shop when it burst. Nobody was out there. It’s clearly bowing outward, not inward. I’ve seen hail storms do that to glass but there was no hail, no wind. There is no centralized point. A bazillion cracks over its entirety. It has a horizontal crack in the middle at the center of the bow out curve. Darnedest thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I have a 2016 Explorer and the back window blow out is actually quite common, and for no reasons that anyone can find. And naturally is isn't something that Ford will cover under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I'd have to go back and look at the threads on the Explorer forum but from what I remember they just blow out for no reason at any time.

I'll see if I can find the threads and let you know

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I can't find the specific discussion on the glass blowing out or breaking for no reason but from what I remember it just happens. Some have suspected heat/cold cycling, too much internal pressure, and even birds flying over. If I remember right one owner threatened to take Ford to court because he thought that it was a safety problem.

If I run across the discussion I'll let you know. Right now the search on that forum is a piece of junk.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It went from high 90s yesterday to low 60s last night but….I can tell you that happens everyday in The Sandbox. Hell, it can drop into the 20s at night after 120 in the day. I’m sure it happens here in the Southwest. It’s bizarre after having not done that in 20 plus years.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
While I have not seen it on a Superduty I have seen it multiple times on automobiles.

Hot summer, user leaves home or wherever from a cool location like a garage or parking deck. Drives and runs the AC at max, no blend air, and drives it to a hot, in the sun location, like our parking lot.

Cold dense air expands producing pressure. Pressure that for some reason is not relieved breaks out a front or back glass.

Tempered glass is made by heating the material then blowing a blast of air simultaneously on both sides. That air tempering creates unequal tension on the xterior and center. That unequal tension is what causes tempered glass to break up in small pieces rather than jagged shards.

Glass failure like depicted could happen from several ways some over lapping. For instance, there is a stone star already, add expansion and some body twist and the tempering material would fail with little remaining direct evidence of cause - effect.

·
Administrator
27,490 Posts
How close to the road was it parked? A pebble thrown up could do it.
When I was a kid, me and a friend were throwing pebbles at the electrical wires above his driveway. His mom's '58 Chevy was parked in the driveway, and one of our pebbles hit the back window. It immediately cracked into a bazillion pieces and started coming apart where the tightest curves were. Of course, we had no idea what had happened. :rolleyes:
Your back window isn't completely flat (I believe it bows outward just a touch), so would relieve itself toward the rear.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If it's happened before, then there is a stressor in the way it's mounted. Likely a metal weld or junction point. Living where I do, it can go from 60s at night to 100 in the day regularly, and still never have seen this without some other factor involved.

8,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I knocked it out and pulled the rubber seal back from the cab.
Rust built up and pushed on the glass. The strain was more than that puppy could bare.
Now there is something to be paranoid about happening to your 20 plus year old truck, boys.
Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tempered glass just does that. Not just windows, coffee tables, shower doors. I bought a brand new Suburban in 1996. The morning after I brought it home, the windshield was all spidery..... my friend was in her kitchen, when the shower door exploded. Another friend was in the shower when hers exploded.... tempered glass... google it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Tempered glass just does that. Not just windows, coffee table another friend was in the shower when hers exploded.... tempered glass... google it.
Not without a stressor it won't. Something has to break the compressed outer layer of the glass to release the tension that is built into it. It's that tension that makes it so strong in the first place and one reason it's used as safety glass. The other reason being that small cubes fl glass flying at you are safer than large shards. Want to see how strong tempered glass can be? Look up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_drop on Utube and see it can be bullet proof.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts