The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

I'm trying find a rear window regulator for my driver's side rear power window with little luck. All I find is front regulators. Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Edit: The lock for the door is jammed as well. The problem is in the latch mechanism where the rod connects. Can anyone tell me what that is called? I've been stumped on that one as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
This comes up now and again.
Iirc, you can make the fronta work on the rear. Or you can use the rears from a sd model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iirc, you can make the fronta work on the rear. Or you can use the rears from a sd model.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Man, I can't find anything on the web... even for the SD. I suppose a search of junkyards is in my future

Can anyone give some insight on how to make the front work on the rear?

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
Andy- is yours a crew cab or extended cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy- is yours a crew cab or extended cab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi RT,

Mine is a crew cab.

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
So, you're right in that nobody seems to list the rear regulators. I found a really good video showing the procedure. I also stopped the video where he showed his part and compared it to the parts on RockAuto. From the motor orientation, it looks as if the front right and rear left are the same. At any rate, it is almost always the motor that fails, or the plastic gear on the motor. Personally, I would order a set of fronts off Amazon or from your local parts store and then pull the bad unit and compare them on the bench. Alternatively, call Mike at Tousley Ford on Monday and ask him to compare part numbers from the Ford catalog.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Couldn't find the info I saw before.
I would try the gear replacement.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems that the rails on the regulator are bent and that's what causes it to stop working. You can spray some silicon spray in there and it works for the rest of the afternoon, but then you're back to square 1.

I ordered some from Parts Geeks, or whatever they're called, both front units, but they weren't compatible. We changed the motor and that too wasn't the problem either. Seems it's the regulator itself.

What about a junkyard? The ones near Austin, TX have nothing, but can anyone recommend a network or even a single junkyard? It seems there are not many options for this issue.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Silicone spray isn't the correct lube for the regulator track on the glass. It should be either white Lithium, PTFE, or chassis grease.

But I'm still not sure what problem you're trying to fix. You never actually told us what "square one" is. You just asked about replacement regulators.

Is the window moving slowly through the whole range? Or does it bind at the same spot every time? Or does it bind at a random location each time? Or does it make noise as it moves? Or...??? The more you tell us, the more likely we can help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silicone spray isn't the correct lube for the regulator track on the glass. It should be either white Lithium, PTFE, or chassis grease.

But I'm still not sure what problem you're trying to fix. You never actually told us what "square one" is. You just asked about replacement regulators.

Is the window moving slowly through the whole range? Or does it bind at the same spot every time? Or does it bind at a random location each time? Or does it make noise as it moves? Or...??? The more you tell us, the more likely we can help.

Good point, sorry for that. The root problem is that the window simply won't move. You can press the master switch or the door switch, and you'll hear that they both are working, but the window doesn't move. We changed the motor on the window and it worked fine for a few days, and then returned to inoperative. We realized part of the actuator may be bent, so with a little lube and straightening, it again worked, but only for a day or so. The window is stuck in the full up position, thankfully. Sometimes, I can press the master switch up and I'll hear a little movement, and then the window is operational, and sometimes it's simply not. If it works, it's a fluke. When we take it apart and spray the silicone, it'll work for a day or so before returning to dysfunction.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
... you'll hear that they both are working...
What exactly do you hear? The motor spinning? Or just the click of the switch? Or something else? Are there relays or modules in the door or dash that click in response to the switches?
...I'll hear a little movement, and then the window is operational...
Leave the door panel off, and try to watch the mechanism with a flashlight & inspection mirror so you can see what's happening when it DOES work, and what's not happening when it doesn't.

In any case: I've never seen one of these regulators go bad (other than by wreck or fire), so I don't think you need to replace it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What exactly do you hear? The motor spinning? Or just the click of the switch? Or something else? Are there relays or modules in the door or dash that click in response to the switches?Leave the door panel off, and try to watch the mechanism with a flashlight & inspection mirror so you can see what's happening when it DOES work, and what's not happening when it doesn't.

In any case: I've never seen one of these regulators go bad (other than by wreck or fire), so I don't think you need to replace it.
Good morning Steve,

When it's not functioning, the noise we hear from either switch input is a clicking sound which I assumed meant that power was getting there. I'll get a better picture of what's happening when I take it apart again and study it. Whenever we take it apart, we can get it to work, albeit just for a day or so. Perhaps it needs some proper lubrication???

Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a spray can of the white lithium grease, as was suggested earlier in this thread. Is it possible a lube could really make the difference and could be the problem? Not being snarky at all, just hopeful. It's POURING rain here so I'll have to wait for the next day or so when it'll stop to try it... and thanks again to all for their input. It's sincerely appreciated!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does that mean the click comes from the switch? Or do you mean the click is coming from inside the door? Or from somewhere else???
From inside the door.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts