The Diesel Stop banner

REBUILT 6.4L LEAKY FREEZE PLUGS

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jk_diesel 
First, slap your machinist on both sets of cheeks with a two by four. Next, get a bottle of Loctite 540. Buy one for your machinist as well if you ever want him to work on anything you own. You're going to have to drain the coolant below the level of the casting plugs. After pulling the old plugs, clean the block side best you can with a wire brush followed by acetone. Put a small bead of the Loctite on the plug, maybe wipe some on the block side if you can get to it and put the plug in. Let it sit for 24 hours before you put the coolant in. Guaranteed no leak.

Do NOT put Bar's leak in anything, much less anything with an oil cooler with small passageways like the 6.0 or 6.4. You'll be replacing that shortly if you do.
RT said it first.... slap that man/woman. I wouldn't even think of putting bars leak in a fresh engine. If it was me, I would probably demand the shop to fix their goof, but knowing they recommended putting crap onto the cooling system makes me wary of what the repair would be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.