The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my e4od rebuilt after trying everything to avoid it. I took it to a transmission shop that came highly recommended.

As soon as I got it back, I noticed a resonant whining sound, like running your finger around the rim of a wine glass. Then it went into limp mode a few times.
The transmission shop took it in, no questions asked, and that took care of the whine. I thought everything was fine, but after a week it went into limp mode again today.

I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow. Is there any direction I can point them in to take care of this limp?

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
Read the codes to see what the computer is seeing to put it in limp mode.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "limp mode"? That's not a Ford term. Ford has programmed HLOS & FMEM into the EEC, but they're not apparent to the driver.

If you mean the O/D OFF light (TCIL) is flashing; that just means the EEC has detected an electronic fault in the trans - it doesn't mean the trans is in any mode. The caption of this diagram explains how to pull codes: (this website might be slow)

·
Super Moderator
12,015 Posts
The FMEM (Failure Modes Effect Management) mode in the E4OD is pretty apparent to the driver. FMEM sets line pressure high, and that results in some pretty harsh shifts. It enters that mode almost any time a trans code is stored.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts