The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first post, and hoping you guys can help. I bought a 93 idi na f superduty 220k miles rollback with 5.13 gears and a zf 5 speed. It has no balls and I highly doubt I could get it up to 70 mph (I haven't tried yet, still needs some new tires). So I bought a 94 f350 idi turbo with 87k to swap the engine with turbo kit in. But now I'm thinking since I'm going to do all this work if there is an easily upgradeable turbo I could install in place of the factory one. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
The only problem with the Ford factory '94 turbo system (it's an ATS), is the fact that it has a smaller turbo outlet housing and a 2 1/2" exhaust system. The turbo system sold directly from ATS had a complete 3" exhaust and 3" large outlet housing which made for more pulling power. Chuckster57 has a factory '94 system and he switched to the larger outlet and exhaust years ago. He's a member here and he could give a good opinion on the power difference if you PM him. You used to be able to buy the 3" components directly from ATS but I think those days are long gone.
In my case, I went from a non-turboed '91 to installing an ATS turbo system (3" outlet & exhaust) and the pulling power difference when towing is significant to put it mildly. That was back in about 1994, money well spent. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps a lot, thanks. Any chance you know a part # of the factory ATS turbo? I cant find any tags on mine, just says Garrett. Hoping to find a 3" outlet housing for it.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
All I've got is the old original ATS part number for the turbo itself in my ATS paperwork, it's DSL00151. You should have a stainless steel riveted tag somewhere on your turbo saying it's a Garratt plus the model and all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts