The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am looking for truck size recommendations for hay delivery needs. Currently I am running a 2008 F450 drw crew cub 6.4 diesel 4wd. The motor was just replaced with a studded head new turbos and egr delete new transmission was just replaced last month. My combine GVW is around 37,000 to 38,000. I was told this truck is hauling too much weight and that is why I am having issues with the cross over exhaust blowing out (3 times now). Thoughts??????

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think the engine is the problem not so much the job. You don't see a lot of post saying that describe the 6.4 as bullet proof or go to motor. You would most likely do better with a newer motor. As far as is this enough truck for the job. Remember it is not just the engine it is all the other parts that make it capable of hauling that type of load. Brakes, springs, axles, tires, transmission, and hitch all factor into hauling a big load. Also What type of country are you driving in? Flat Texas or running in the Rockys? The new 2018 F450 is rated for that kind of weight. What is the Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) OF YOUR 2008? So is this a few times a year you are doing this type of load or running it hard every week? I don't tow that often but when I do I am usually at or above the GCWR of my trucks. I make sure I slow down and take my time.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A medium duty cab and chassis truck will handle that weight daily no problem. If you need the 4wd you’re options for medium duty are kinda limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts