The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a notice from Ford about a recall regarding the reductant heater and sensor assembly (Recall notice 21M01). It basically states that "although the Diesel exhaust fluid system is likely functioning fine" the check engine light may come on indicating a problem with the reductant tank heating system and extended the warranty to 11 years or 120,000 miles. Well, about two months ago the check engine light came on on my 2015 F350 with 15,000 miles. The code indicated a problem with the reductant tank heater. Brought it to the dealer and they told me that the heater was part of the tank assembly and the whole assembly needed to be replaced to the tune of $1,019.00. I thought it really sucked that I would have to replace a major component on a truck with only 15,000 miles on it, but agreed to the repair. Now, after receiving this recall notice, I feel like I got screwed and paid for an unnecessary repair. Anybody else encountered this? I plan on visiting the dealer tomorrow with the recall notice and my repair invoice to see if I can get a refund. I am guessing that they will tell me to contact Ford Customer Service which will be an endless exercise in frustration.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
First, whoever sold you a DEF tank for a defective tank heater/sender assembly is an idiot. The tank and sender are serviceable separately. If this was a 2017 or newer, the DEF QUALITY sensor is part of the tank... but that is not what we are talking about here. Second, this is not a recall - it's a "program" that extends the warranty coverage on the DEF heater/sender for heater faults. Third, if you paid to have the part replaced you can be reimbursed for the repair... maybe not the full amount and on that note, you will not be reimbursed for the tank for the reason I mentioned. You should contact your dealer for assistance in getting a refund as per the program. The customer letter you received tells you this. Once you get your check, call them back and give them sheeeyit for unnecessarily charging you to replace the tank!!!

FWIW - you did not get screwed as this program was RECENTLY released for your model/year truck. But you did get jacked for the tank unless there was a DIFFERENT reason for replacing it. I will repeat - the DEF heater/sender is NOT part of the tank and is serviced separately on 2015 MY trucks. This is not Ford Motor Company's fault or problem - you have a legit beef with the DEALER.

·
Registered
833 Posts
In the beginning Ford did the same for the 11 through 14 M/Y trucks. Us with 15's and newer weren't covered. Its nice of Ford to step up and help us out as well. I replaced mine a long time ago in my driveway. OP's dealer pulled a fast one. Way easier to replace everything than open the tank and put a new heater in there. I may not go back to that dealer after this if I was OP

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I had the DEF pump and tank replaced last year. Is there a PCM change that should have been done? Nothing on the paperwork shows that. 2012 F350 pickup

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
In the beginning Ford did the same for the 11 through 14 M/Y trucks. Us with 15's and newer weren't covered. Its nice of Ford to step up and help us out as well. I replaced mine a long time ago in my driveway. OP's dealer pulled a fast one. Way easier to replace everything than open the tank and put a new heater in there. I may not go back to that dealer after this if I was OP
How is replacing everything easier than replacing the reductant heater/sender assembly? The tank does not need replacing... nor does the pump. Not necessary at all unless someone breaks something. Paying for un-necessary parts is like poopin a bowling ball. NOT EASY and for years you will wonder WHY YOU DID THAT.

·
Registered
833 Posts
How is replacing everything easier than replacing the reductant heater/sender assembly? The tank does not need replacing... nor does the pump. Not necessary at all unless someone breaks something. Paying for un-necessary parts is like poopin a bowling ball. NOT EASY and for years you will wonder WHY YOU DID THAT.
I agree with you there was nothing wrong with the tank than don't replace it. I only replaced my heater and not the tank or pump. I must have misspoke. Sorry. I don't make it a habit of replacing good parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just a follow up to my earlier post. I took the recall notice and my repair invoice for the tank and heater replacement up to my local Ford dealer, expecting a battle. They were very nice and agreed to refunding 100% of the cost. I had a check a week later.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just a follow up to my earlier post. I took the recall notice and my repair invoice for the tank and heater replacement up to my local Ford dealer, expecting a battle. They were very nice and agreed to refunding 100% of the cost. I had a check a week later.
That's great man. It's always good to see when something good happens after a "hiccup" like this. And thanks for follow-up up. Always good to see a good close to threads like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a notice from Ford about a recall regarding the reductant heater and sensor assembly (Recall notice 21M01). It basically states that "although the Diesel exhaust fluid system is likely functioning fine" the check engine light may come on indicating a problem with the reductant tank heating system and extended the warranty to 11 years or 120,000 miles. Well, about two months ago the check engine light came on on my 2015 F350 with 15,000 miles. The code indicated a problem with the reductant tank heater. Brought it to the dealer and they told me that the heater was part of the tank assembly and the whole assembly needed to be replaced to the tune of $1,019.00. I thought it really sucked that I would have to replace a major component on a truck with only 15,000 miles on it, but agreed to the repair. Now, after receiving this recall notice, I feel like I got screwed and paid for an unnecessary repair. Anybody else encountered this? I plan on visiting the dealer tomorrow with the recall notice and my repair invoice to see if I can get a refund. I am guessing that they will tell me to contact Ford Customer Service which will be an endless exercise in frustration.
Same here I received notice from ford so called my dealer they set an appointment for 3 weeks away I brought truck there they had it a week I got it back and within 2 days I got a dash message saying in 50 miles truck will be reduced to 5omph after telling dealer he gave me another appt for 4 days away I drove as little as possible but ecentually reduced to idle node I was furious as had to have it flat ended to dealer.it has been there untouched for over two weeks not to mention it cost 475 to get it flat bedded there.anyway I started putting pressure on them as I need my truck now today they are saying they brought it in and gonna be 3500 at least ,MInd you other than How mad I am they are fully trying to take advantage I am looking for copies of the recall notices anybody know where I can find
Thanks Robbie

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here you go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts