The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced the shutter twice now and I am at 4500 miles...
1st episode was on the interstate doing 70.
2nd episode was city driving..

Pretty disappointing for a 68K truck!

Made appt with dealer to take it in next week.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Once you first have the problem around 4000 miles during break in, per Ford Engineer your truck will always have the issue until the engine is broken down and valves replaced or full head replaced.

The planned 2nd quarter TSB PCM Calibration modification per Ford Engineer will not fix a truck that already exhibits the issue as it will only try to mask the issue on new trucks that have not exhibited the issue.

Your valves during regeneration are not sliding freely in the valve guides

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome!
Thanks Wharrel!

·
Registered
348 Posts

I just bought one and am keenly interested. A couple of questions--what is the build date of your 2015? Have you changed the oil? If so, what type of oil are you using?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Very curious about these same questions myself.. My truck is at just over 6k on the mileage, and i have had zero issues.. Mine is a Jan 15' build.. My best friend has an early build 15'[ very early] and has had zero issues with close to 40k on the clock.. To be honest i have kept the mileage low on mine, until i gave gain more insight on to what the issue is, and how to fix it if it occurs..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine is a Jan 15' build.. My best friend has an early build 15'[ very early] and has had zero issues with close to 40k on the clock.
Mine is 02/15 and I hope it also has zero issues. What type of oil have you been running in yours?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Got the factory oil out a 1500 mi. Did the first change with chevron semi syn 10w-30.. I will do the next change with chevron 5w-40 straight syn, and all others afterward.. Likely do it this weekend.. I used shell 5w-40 syn[t6] in my 11', it worked just fine, just wanted to try something different on the new one..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got the factory oil out a 1500 mi. Did the first change with chevron semi syn 10w-30.. I will do the next change with chevron 5w-40 straight syn, and all others afterward.. Likely do it this weekend.. I used shell 5w-40 syn[t6] in my 11', it worked just fine, just wanted to try something different on the new one..
I wonder if the synthetic oil combats the valve coking better than a conventional. Some gas engines that have direct injection (DI) have valve coking problems that synthetics seem to help. I plan to do the same as you, I have about 900 miles on it now and as soon as I head back to Houston from Dallas, I am going to dump the factory fill. I have RT6 ready to go in, but I also wanted to try Mobil 1 Delvac ESP (made for low emissions engines), but I do not find it very easily. I will have to check around for the Chevron oil--I assume this is Delo 400 LE?

Although I understand that a synthetic is for extended OCIs, in this case, it seems like valve coking (based upon what I read) is a large contributor to the problem since the valves in the left head become stuck or hard to close and a synthetic may help with that. It may not help at all, but if there is a chance, I am willing to give it a try. Putting a truck as expensive as these into the shop to have a head replaced at <10K miles is sad and I empathize with those who have had this problem.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
I ran the factory oil fill till the message center popped up with the service message(Close to 7000k). ZERO issues during those miles and even afterwards. I hate to hear about guys getting this problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ran the factory oil fill till the message center popped up with the service message(Close to 7000k). ZERO issues during those miles and even afterwards. I hate to hear about guys getting this problem.
Are the '06 models plagued with this too? I am assuming you have an '06 based upon your signature.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Sorry I need to update that to a '15 Plat.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry I need to update that to a '15 Plat.
No worries mate! What is the build date on your 2015? Just wondering since this seems to be random if there is a common thread that connects them or if it is indeed random.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Build dates mean nothing. Wharrels experiences the issue and mine does not. We were both built in the same month. I personally believe this is more of a tolerance issue then anything.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Build dates mean nothing. Wharrels experiences the issue and mine does not. We were both built in the same month. I personally believe this is more of a tolerance issue then anything.
But if true (and if I understand what I have read), how does that explain it reoccuring on the ones that have had the heads changed--or does that solve it?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
August 2014 build date.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
But if true (and if I understand what I have read), how does that explain it reoccuring on the ones that have had the heads changed--or does that solve it?
I don't recall anyone having their heads changed yet on the 15-16 trucks. From my understanding, Ford up until just recently has denied the issue in regards to motor tear down. It has only been a week or two since Ford has now said they will tear down the motor and clean/replace the valves/head.

I know on the earlier builds (11-14) when this had happened, originally it was just clean/replace the valves and reassemble. I believe this to be a short term fix for some as it ended up happening again to them.

This is based off memory and I could be mistaken..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't recall anyone having their heads changed yet on the 15-16 trucks. From my understanding, Ford up until just recently has denied the issue in regards to motor tear down. It has only been a week or two since Ford has now said they will tear down the motor and clean/replace the valves/head.

I know on the earlier builds (11-14) when this had happened, originally it was just clean/replace the valves and reassemble. I believe this to be a short term fix for some as it ended up happening again to them.

This is based off memory and I could be mistaken..
Ah--ok. Many thanks for the information! As you can imagine, as the new owner of one of these, I am a bit anxious about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been experiencing the same on my 2015 f-250 bought in Aug 2014. It's been going on since about 6K and I currently have 21K on it. It's bad. Rough running and the jackhammer sound to go with it. The only thing that seems to help is when I run a bottle of Lucas Deep Clean in the tank. Not sure what it does, but it helps for a few regens and then back to the same thing. The dealer and Ford corp are telling me normal. Time to sell.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This all really makes no sense.. I have tore into enough engines over the last 25 years to know when carbon is a issue on valves.. This is an issue that takes many miles to develop.. We have better oils, and much cleaner fuel, so i simply cant see where cleaning the valves is even a factor, especially when none of the engines with the issues, have any real miles on them.. In short, if this were the case, why are high mileage engines not having this issue?? There has got to be a design issue somewhere.. It's within the valves, the guides, or the regen process itself.. As i understand, the regen process has been modified to run cooler but for longer periods.. Anyone verify this?? The time frame i can see in my truck, but have no way to verify temps.. one thing is for certain, there is either an issue with the durability of the componets used, or the regen process itself needs to be scraped for a different way..

·
Registered
348 Posts
This all really makes no sense [...]
I agree, but the early gasoline direct injection (DI) engines had a similar problem with valve coking and it did not take very many miles to manifest itself (but certainly more than 4-5K). It would be nice to find a common denominator on this and it seems strange that it is not a systemic across the board problem.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.