The Diesel Stop banner

Remote Start Options

27K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  KevinGwin 
#1 ·
Hi all. I want to install a remote start in my 2012 F-350 Lariat SuperCrew 6.7L Powerstroke. I am leaning towards OEM just to keep it simple, but I thought that I would hit up the experts first and ask for some advice and opinions on factory vs. aftermarket. I appreciate any feedback that you supply me with.

#2 · (Edited)
OEM remote start is fine and easy. The Ford remote start kits, basic, long distance or celluar are all plug and play. Did you buy your truck new and know it does not have remote start? You can check to see if you have a hood switch int eh engine compartment or check your VIN at

https://www.etis.ford.com/

If no factory remote start, you must add the basic Ford remote start to up grade to long range or celluar remote start.

You need the following to add basic remote start

Hood switch - BC3Z-19G366-A
RF antenna - DA8Z-15603-A
Ford Integrated Key (IKT) - BC3T-15K601-BC (not needed if adding long range remote start)(once the key is cut and you have two previously PATS keys for your truck, you can program the IKT without dealer involvement)

You can find these as a kit on eBay with one or 2 keys under a search for part number BC3Z-19G364-A

BC3Z19G364A | eBay

Once installed, you will need a Ford dealer or someone with the ability to turn on the Remote Start in the PCM/ECM via the OBDII port. Not sure if this parameter is able to be modified with the ForScan program on a laptop/computer and an interface with the OBDII port via wifi, bluetooth or USB adapter.

#4 ·
Yes, it works for 2011 thru 2016 Super Duties and probably the 2017 also.

#5 ·
I recently purchased a BC3Z-19G364-A kit. Unfortunately the dealers still want rape prices to activate it. I installed the kit myself, already. It's ridiculously simple to install, took 5-10 minutes. My truck already had the hood switch too, which made things easier. Still trying to find a dealership that won't rip me off on activation. I got quoted $130 from Gaudin Ford here in Las Vegas to have the 2 new keys cut and programmed, but they wanted an additional $150 just to turn the remote start feature on. I told them I already installed the kit, but the $150 is for them to plug in and push "activate". Gonna try other dealerships/aftermarket shops and see what turns up. Otherwise this is looking like a $430 remote start job.

Dealerships suck. Ford Service sucks worse.

#6 · (Edited)
I am not sure FORScan can activate remote start or not. If it can, you can save a trip to a Ford Dealer. If you have a laptop (will not work with smartphone app) and a ELM327 OBDII adapter, bluetooth, wifi or USB, then you can get the FORScan "license" and activate it yourself. Check some of the F150 Forums. Many of them use FORScan and have write ups on various programmable parameters. Check this forum Fusion forum

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

If FORScan can not, then...

I can see paying a Ford dealer a 1/2 hour shop time to activate the remote start as they do need to pay for their IDS license. It should only take 10 minutes max to turn on remote start.

Do you have two keys with your truck that start the truck? If so, you can program the fob keys yourself. All you need is to have a locksmith cut them and then you follow the steps in your owner's manual. (I would use locksmith to cut the keys as they are better skilled than other places at cutting a key such as the local hardware store or Wal Mart or etc.)

Programming a Spare Key

Note:You can program a maximum of eight coded keys to your vehicle. Only four of these can be integrated keyhead transmitters. You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitter or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.

I would have the remote start activated and then cut the keys and program them myself.

Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys.

You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See
an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key
into the ignition.

5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off and removing the previously
programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.

8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds until you hear the door locks cycle.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

The key will start the engine if programming is successful. You can operate the remote entry system if the new
key is an integrated keyhead transmitter. If programming was not successful, wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8.

If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.

#7 ·
I am a bit late to the party on this one but here are my comments. I installed the BT4Z19G364A in my 2011 because I wanted the added range they say they have. By golly they really have a long reach indeed! The two way communications is nice as you know for sure that the truck is running. Anyway install was easy and straight forward. For to "enabling" part, I shopped around and many dealers quoted $100 or so but I found one who did mine for $45. Guess I was lucky.

#8 ·
I added the long distance remote start on my 2015 F350 and it come from installed from the factory on my 2016 Fusion. I like it a lot better than the IKT remote start they install on the Super Duty at the factory. I use the fob with FCC info ELVATRKC and yes, even if is says Subaru on the fob, it will work with Ford setup. I have two of the Subaru fobs and they work great. These have NO panic button but do have the flashing light around the start button to let you know if vehicle is running or not.

ELVATRKC | eBay

#10 ·
If you have a 2011 and up truck, you would be better off going with the plug and play units

The security module is pn DL3Z-19A361-A that adds the premier plus security and the connection for the long distance remote start.

The windshield antenna is the Bi-Directional Remote Start Antenna Kit DL3Z-15603-C

If you do not have factory remote start, you will also need the RF antenna and the Hood switch.

Then you can use the remote start button I mentioned above.

These two items, DL3Z-19A361-A and DL3Z-15603-C, take about 30 minutes total to install and program for your truck. They do not require dealer intervention if you have factory remote start.

#11 ·
Found a dealer that didn't hassle me for the remote start activation and keys. Ford Country here in Vegas cut/programmed both keys and turned on the remote start for $98. The activation range varies depending a lot on what's between you and the truck, line of sight. The furthest away I can go in clear line of sight is about 380' in an open parking lot. Coming out of a Target the other day I was able to start it from the door exit, with the truck parked about 150' away.

I'd say the basic plug 'n play kit is a very good value for what you get. I have no issues starting the truck from inside the house anywhere, I can hear it crank and see the parking lights. It idles long enough to warm up the oil enough to hop in and go, which is all I want. It will really be a benefit come summer time in Vegas, as I can leave the A/C cranked and get into a cooled off truck, instead of a sauna. As long as you can get a dealer to be reasonable with you, it's worth the investment. If you're looking for max range, you'll want the rest of the upgrades for sure. The range of the basic kit aren't phenomenal, and no start confirmation from the OEM key fob's.

#13 ·
The basic remote start is good for the distance you can activate it. This distance is usually 50ft and some case maybe 100ft. For most that is adequate, but I like the long distance remote start that I added to my 2015 F350 and came as the basic/standard remote start on my 2016 Fusion.

This does require the Perimeter Security System (VSS) module as an interface with cost of approx $130. The long rang antenna that mounts to the windshield plugs into the VSS is approx $65.. One button (no panic button) bi-directional remotes can be found on eBay for $15 or less. They might say Subaru or Ford on them but either work.

The long distance remote start setup is good for 1000ft and will start the vehicle even if not in line of sight such as inside the bathroom or maybe a store such as Wal Mart.

#14 ·
I just added the Ford basic remote start in my 2014. Bought the harness, antenna and one key off of ebay from one of the Ford dealers for about $125. Installation took all of 15 minutes. Watching a few ebay videos worked great. Took it to my local mechanic who had a handheld computer pad and was able to access the Ford system and turn on the remote start feature. So, you don't HAVE to go to a Ford dealer to get this done.

I've also seen concerns about whether the A/C is on high when you start the truck. For my truck, it has the manual control system. I left it on the low fan setting. When I got in from remote starting, the fan was on high. Turned the key to on and the fan speed went back to low. I was very pleased it responded in this manner.

Tom

#15 ·
So my 2012 F350 Lariat has OEM remote start, if I add the VsS DL3Z-19A361-A, and the bidirectional antenna, and get one of those long range fobs, I’m set?? Biggest question is, if this is true and will add distance to remote start, where does the module plug and play into? Wish I could find a YouTube video or pics of the install

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.