The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 f250 and I'm going to do either a viper or avital system. I want some inputs on these brands and what modules and bi-passes I need for this.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I just installed one on my 02 couple mounts ago. it is the autostart, no allarm and didn't took long to install.

I heard that viper is really good but never heard of avital

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You won't need any bypass for the '02. No PATS until 2008 on the SD's.

The Vipers were about the best out there however in talking to a couple of installers, they are all over the Compustar now. Apparently the later generations of DEI (Viper) stuff has had more than it's share of issues.

I have the Viper 791XV, I installed it in my '04 then moved it when I traded the '04 on a leftover '07. It has been flawless and quite feature rich for it's generation. I'm not sure exactly when DEI started to "suck" (at least according to the installers I've talked to).

Decide on the alarm you want. download the manual. make sure you understand the majority of what needs to be done and understand the basics like what an input is versus an output, what a couple hundred mA is capable of powering versus several amps, how to add relays and fuses to circuits etc.

If you have a basic level of knowledge of the above, I'm sure with a little help from here, you can do it. If you have no clue where to start, I suggest you find a friend that does, or hire someone to install. Walking you through every last connection and wire test from here would not be easy.....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have a bulldog on my obs. Has the fancy lcd remote.
I need to hook it back up and finish programming it. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
How much was it in total to install and everything too? I'm looking to put it on my truck
The total cost with install is a very wide range. I basic install on a basic entry level alarm on a relativity easy vehicle will usually be done for $100-$200. It could to up to well above $1000 on a difficult vehicle with interface modules, adding alarm and additional alarm features etc. Our trucks are not too hard expect for dealing with the glow plugs. The way that is handles is dependent on the year and who's installing, there are a couple of choices on the earlier trucks. if your working on the really current trucks, a lot of the new RS/alarms are almost entirly programmed via the alarm module and connect to the data bus making most manual wire connections a thing of the past.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Viper alarm the blue remotes with the orange screen and a orange star button. Don't know the model but I would recommend if it's a diesel do some research when you ask it to remote crank make sure the amount of crank time is long enough for a diesel as mine is 50/50 if it starts in the 3 times it tries. Some times it takes 30 tries for it to start. And if I was able to change/set the crank time up by 2 seconds it would prolly start 9/10 times.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Fawkyooo, sounds like your alarm is the same as mine or at least the same generation and family of unit.

Assuming it was installed with a DEI 528T timer for the GP's, the length of time is easily adjusted from 1-60 seconds via a screw adjuster on the outside of it, just use a small blade screw driver. I'm not sure if the GP light can even stay on longer than a full minute so this device should work for you.

I mounted mine off to right just outside the glove box so I could access it easy to adjust in the spring and fall. I usually dial mine back to about 15 sec in the summer and up around 45 in the winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The total cost with install is a very wide range. I basic install on a basic entry level alarm on a relativity easy vehicle will usually be done for $100-$200. It could to up to well above $1000 on a difficult vehicle with interface modules, adding alarm and additional alarm features etc. Our trucks are not too hard expect for dealing with the glow plugs. The way that is handles is dependent on the year and who's installing, there are a couple of choices on the earlier trucks. if your working on the really current trucks, a lot of the new RS/alarms are almost entirly programmed via the alarm module and connect to the data bus making most manual wire connections a thing of the past.
Oh man.. I had no idea how complicated this was to actually do especially on the newer trucks. I'll go try to find a shop near me to quote me a price and see what happens

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
When i did my 02, it took me a full day. Never installed one before but i had good idea where the wire was

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Thanks for the time frame. I did not realize it was a full days project!

By the time you figure out witch wires you need, find their location, route some wiring and hook everything up. It will be that time of the day for a couple beers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts