The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had to change fuel filters 3 times recently (6 liter). plugged with water i believe, along with some rusty sediment. truck seems to run itself out of fuel at highway speeds. around town, appears to run fine.

removed HFCM and removed fuel pump from the housing. cleaned everything out of it, all of the "funky" gel/rust stuff. installed third set of filters within 2 months of each other. truck seemed to run better at highway speeds and did not shut off for about 3 weeks. then it happened again. WIF sensor does not indicate water, but the filters are not discolored enough to think it is plugged with rust only.

i suspect that i have gotten some crappy fuel laced with a lot of rust and water. i feel like i need to drop the tank and clean it out; make sure all of the "funky" stuff is gone. so, what is the best way to drop the tank? BTW, i plan to drain the tank beforehand with a portable electric fuel pump. drain it into a white bucket so i can see any visible contaminants.

thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had some issues this past summer that involved FP dropping to zero while cruising down the hwy. After exiting and slowing it started plugging along and stumbling. It never died, but acted like it wanted to. I had it towed home. Fuel pump tested fine. Dropped the tank and found that the pickup filter cone was broken off inside of fuel tank. Some small plastic pieces were clogging up the fuel line along with some sand (previous owner lived on coast in FL). Cleaned out the tank, replaced pickup cone, blew out HFCM to fuel tank fuel lines, cleaned HFCM, replaced HFCM o rings, new filters. Good to go now.

Dropping that 44 gallon tank was a pain. It doesn't help that my X is lowered. It took two HD jacks and some serious maneuvering to get at it in my driveway. A lift would have been better.

I had to disconnect the rubber filler neck hose from the metal fill up tube that you pump fuel into (there is an anti-siphon screen in there) in order to siphon fuel off. Only four bolts holding tank up. Disconnecting the fuel line connectors on top of tank is a little tough. Took me the better part of a day to drop, clean, dry, replace parts, install tank.

When all back together and ready to crank, remember to cycle your fuel pump 3-4 times before actually cranking.

I had to drain about 20 gallons and it was cruddy. I strained it with window screen material and reused it. I am not suggesting that you do that, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guy!

i am really looking forward to finding a large amount of crud in there, or some type of obstruction that can be cleared. i actually thought about backing it up onto some ramps to gain some additional clearance and provide a stable platform.

did you remove the fill hose prior to dropping the tank? also, sorry to hear about the anti-siphon screen. i was hoping to drain most of via a small electric fuel pump. it has just a little more than 1/4 tank, so maybe it will not be too heavy. did you support the tank with a floor jack while lowering it? the sending unit is expensive, so i do not want to damage it in the process.

thanks again for your response!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
A word of caution. If you use a jack, when you put it back up and it touches the bed and mounts STOP do not apply any pressure. I found out the hard way that often this is how the foot assembly gets broken.
Never pulled a tank on a X but from the looks of it bring your lunch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I disconnected the fuel hose from metal fill tube, but did not disconnect hose from tank prior to lowering. Just go slow while lowering (a second set of hands helps) and make sure the hose clears the frame without binding up. Go even slower raising tank back into place to make sure you get that rubber hose up and over the frame. I ended up replacing that hose as mine had a small hole that was dripping fuel when filling up.

Yes, I supported the tank with a jack while lowering. I used cross beam adapter on the jack under the tank. Put a piece of cardboard underneath your jack. Drop tank all the way down and then tilt back onto the cardboard and pull jack out. Then grab cardboard and pull to slide tank out from under the truck.

As I mentioned before, my X is slammed. After dropping tank, I had to jack truck WAY up in order to pull tank out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good news!
appears the whole issue was as described above; crumbled strainer assembly. many pieces of black plastic floating around with some larger pieces that could block the pick-up tube.
removed tank. hardest parts was separating the hoses from the filler neck. after that, 15 minute job to remove the tank. mine has a steel skid plate that acts as a cradle for the plastic tank. made the tank heavier to handle, but i did not fear damaging the tank when i re-installed it.

oh yeah, i blew out the fuel lines from the HFCM back to make sure there was nothing obstructing fuel flow from there.

thanks for the help gentlemen!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad that you got it all fixed up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Ive replaced the fuel filter twice, then the fuel pump.. Some on told me my tank might be coming apart. Is the tank plastic ? If so , sounds like it might be that srtainer thing

Steve

·
Registered
839 Posts
heavy duty ratchet straps hooked on the frame, tighten them up, now remove all 4 bolts and straps, lower the tank one click at a time, easy as pie, install the same way no busted knuckles or bad words will come out of your mouth!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I pulled my EX tank last year for a new pick up screen and filter clean out. Not that bad of a job. That tank is so massive it will not come out from under the truck when on the ground. stock height, rear replacement bumper. I drove my truck up on to some 4 level, 2"x 12" step chocks that I made. This got the truck approx 5 1/2" higher off the ground. It gave me a lot more room to sit upright under the truck and work. I am 6'6" about 270 lbs and that extra room was nice. I used a floor jack to lower the tank and then slid it off the jack and it came right out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts